Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I swim if there's metal/copper in my pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I swim if there's metal/copper in my pool water?

Hey guys, pretty much done slamming my pool from a green algae mess. I am a new pool owner and was pool-stored for a few months. Last time I was in, they said I had copper in my pool (2.1 ppm at that time). I ignored this problem and finished the SLAM first. I have not done my own testing yet for metals but am looking into buying test strips. In the case that there IS copper in my pool water:

1. Is the pool safe to swim in without using any sequestering agent?
    2. What kind of "stains" should I look out for that indicate that there is metal in my pool? Here's a picture of the shallow end that have this discoloration on the floor. Not sure if that is a factor of metal or high fc when shocking? Sorry if it's hard to see.

IMG_4572.jpg
    15k gallon in-ground
    Pentair Hydropump, Centurion switchless motor
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Dolphin 9301PRO pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I swim if there's metal/copper in my pool water?

Green hair
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If your copper is really that high, the stain you should "look out for" is the one on your pool surface that is very dark and fairly permanent.

My point is that you test for metal and treat accordingly.....hopefully before you ever get copper staining.

Curious, how did you SLAM your pool without a test kit?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    If your copper is really that high, the stain you should "look out for" is the one on your pool surface that is very dark and fairly permanent.

My point is that you test for metal and treat accordingly.....hopefully before you ever get copper staining.

Curious, how did you SLAM your pool without a test kit?
    I got a TF100 once I decided to stop going to the pool store.

Aside from green hair (my family has dark brown/black hair), is there any dangers/precautions to swimming? Or should I wait on the sequestering agent?
    15k gallon in-ground

5. Back To Top    #5

Other than the effects on hair, the copper is not a problem to swim in, assuming the pool is properly chlorinated. You do not need to wait until you get a sequestering agent. Fresh copper stains can be removed using citric acid. Or you can use the Jack's Magic #2 treatment method that attempts to remove the copper (once removed from the plaster) into the filter. Another product that works in a similar way is ProTeam Metal Magic. If after using these methods you still have some metal remaining in the water, then there are several options for removal (or you can just sequester), but start with removing the stain first using one of these methods (with citric acid you'd still need to use a metal sequestrant afterwards).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Did you pass all three criteria for the SLAM? The water seems pretty cloudy.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Other than the effects on hair, the copper is not a problem to swim in, assuming the pool is properly chlorinated. You do not need to wait until you get a sequestering agent. Fresh copper stains can be removed using citric acid. Or you can use the Jack's Magic #2 treatment method that attempts to remove the copper (once removed from the plaster) into the filter. Another product that works in a similar way is ProTeam Metal Magic. If after using these methods you still have some metal remaining in the water, then there are several options for removal (or you can just sequester), but start with removing the stain first using one of these methods (with citric acid you'd still need to use a metal sequestrant afterwards).
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Did you pass all three criteria for the SLAM? The water seems pretty cloudy.
    Yep, just not a good picture.
    15k gallon in-ground