For all the TFP maintenance converts...

I keep my CYA just a little under 40. That way I can put puck in to help hold the FC. I also pour in enough chlorine to bring my FC up to just over SLAM level.

If I were to stay longer than just a couple of days I would have a neighbor come over to add chlorine.

Kim

I usually throw 2-3 pucks in my skimmer basket and set the timer on my pool so my pump runs for 3 hours every 12 hours. If I'm gone for a week, I'll also leave three 1 gallon jugs of 8.25% clorox with my neighbor and I label them (If I leave on sunday, I'll label one for Tuesday, one for Thursday and one for Saturday). I just tell him to dump the jugs in the pool on the day they are labeled for.

I have gone away for up to a week with no ill effects by bringing it to shock level, putting the solar cover on and shutting the pump down. When I get home I raise the Chlorine level again to be sure nothing is starting to grow and run the pump for 24 hours.

I usually throw 2-3 pucks in my skimmer basket and set the timer on my pool so my pump runs for 3 hours every 12 hours.
NOT recommended to do this. Pucks are very acidic and will make the water really nasty sitting in your skimmer if the pump is off. Then you suck it through all your equipment.

I have gone away for up to a week with no ill effects by bringing it to shock level, putting the solar cover on and shutting the pump down. When I get home I raise the Chlorine level again to be sure nothing is starting to grow and run the pump for 24 hours.

This! Except I keep the pump running for a few hours a day, just to circulate the hot water that builds under the solar cover.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Task I usually throw 2-3 pucks in my skimmer basket and set the timer on my pool so my pump runs for 3 hours every 12 hours.
NOT recommended to do this. Pucks are very acidic and will make the water really nasty sitting in your skimmer if the pump is off. Then you suck it through all your equipment.

Good to know!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I've gone as far as testing the water in my skimmer basket after soaking a couple pucks for several hours and haven't been able to detect a major difference in the test results. As long as you set your pump to run regularly, I don't think there will be any problems arising from supplementing your chlorine in this method while away on vacation, but hey, what do I know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.