Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For all the TFP maintenance converts...

1. Back To Top    #1

For all the TFP maintenance converts...

What do you do when you go on vacation and can't add bleach daily?
    30k gallon, replastered (June '15), 1.5hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 60 sq ft DE filter, Hayward chlorinator, Rheem 406k heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For all the TFP maintenance converts...

Run my Rainbow 320 or have a neighbor fill my Liquidator.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Trichlor pucks in a floater, same as most people
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep my CYA just a little under 40. That way I can put puck in to help hold the FC. I also pour in enough chlorine to bring my FC up to just over SLAM level.

If I were to stay longer than just a couple of days I would have a neighbor come over to add chlorine.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I usually throw 2-3 pucks in my skimmer basket and set the timer on my pool so my pump runs for 3 hours every 12 hours. If I'm gone for a week, I'll also leave three 1 gallon jugs of 8.25% clorox with my neighbor and I label them (If I leave on sunday, I'll label one for Tuesday, one for Thursday and one for Saturday). I just tell him to dump the jugs in the pool on the day they are labeled for.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

6. Back To Top    #6

I have gone away for up to a week with no ill effects by bringing it to shock level, putting the solar cover on and shutting the pump down. When I get home I raise the Chlorine level again to be sure nothing is starting to grow and run the pump for 24 hours.
    24' Above Ground Round vinyl
    DE Filter pump 1HP
    Flow Rate 39GPM
    14700 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the responses.
    30k gallon, replastered (June '15), 1.5hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 60 sq ft DE filter, Hayward chlorinator, Rheem 406k heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    I usually throw 2-3 pucks in my skimmer basket and set the timer on my pool so my pump runs for 3 hours every 12 hours.
    NOT recommended to do this. Pucks are very acidic and will make the water really nasty sitting in your skimmer if the pump is off. Then you suck it through all your equipment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by rdw1961 View Post
    I have gone away for up to a week with no ill effects by bringing it to shock level, putting the solar cover on and shutting the pump down. When I get home I raise the Chlorine level again to be sure nothing is starting to grow and run the pump for 24 hours.
    This! Except I keep the pump running for a few hours a day, just to circulate the hot water that builds under the solar cover.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Originally Posted by Task I usually throw 2-3 pucks in my skimmer basket and set the timer on my pool so my pump runs for 3 hours every 12 hours.
    NOT recommended to do this. Pucks are very acidic and will make the water really nasty sitting in your skimmer if the pump is off. Then you suck it through all your equipment.
    Good to know!!
    22,000 gal 16x34, IG, vinyl (7/14)
    DE Hayward Perflex extended cycle
    Hayward Super Pump
    Aquacal heat pump
    TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I've gone as far as testing the water in my skimmer basket after soaking a couple pucks for several hours and haven't been able to detect a major difference in the test results. As long as you set your pump to run regularly, I don't think there will be any problems arising from supplementing your chlorine in this method while away on vacation, but hey, what do I know.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Here's a great pic of pipe damage due to pucks in skimmer:
    Vinyl Pools, Pool Liners, Pool Service, Pool Renovations in Bucks County and Montgomery County

Maybe not an issue if you just do it for a short time for vacation.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump