Replacement knob for Haywood Star Clear is too long!

Jun 11, 2015
Wellington, FL
The lock know for my Haywood Star Clear pump lid became stripped over time. I ordered the new part, replaced the o-ring, clear ring and e clip. The knob works perfectly and secures tightly to the rod coming up the middle of the pump except...it stops turning before the lid is secure to the base leaving a quarter inch gap!

Does anyone know of a way to correct this issues?

If the knob is an identical match, probably the tie rod started unscrewing from the base when you were unscrewing the old knob. Try clamping onto the rod down below the threads with some vise-grips or channel-locks and see if it will screw down lower.

If the knob's not identical, find a handy neighbor or a mechanic or a machinist and see if they can't cut more threads onto the rod. With the right threading die, it should only take a couple minutes.

Thanks for the advice Richard. I looked at it again while awaiting a response and realized that the threads toward the bottom of the rod were filled with scale. I spent a few minutes scraping it out and was able to tighten the lid all the way down--they need to be cleaned more, but for now at least the pump is running after being off for the past two days. BTW, the knob is OEM Haywood, but is noticeably longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.