Is 65 GPD of Water Loss "Normal"?

WardL

Apr 2, 2015
Camarillo, CA
As part of the construction I added a water meter (I have a separate power meter too) on the auto-fill line to the pool. I have been averaging about 65 GPD of water. The pool is very exposed to the wind and is a full infinity edge design. I see other posts about the pool going down an inch or so in a week, but that doesn't say how much water is being lost in GPD. With the infinity edge and the auto fill, the water level is always the same. The surge pond level varies a little when the filter pump kicks on. How can I determine if the water consumption is normal for this kind of pool and is 65 GPD seem in the normal range for this kind of pool? I got the water meter for about $70 on eBay with the necessary unions.

Converting inches lost to GPD requires the pool surface area which you did not mention. But a 500 sq-ft pool and 1" per week is 45 GPD. 2" per week, not untypical in the summer, would be 90 GPD.

I'm sure it varies based on conditions.

65 gallons may seem like a big number but it is less than 1/3 of 1% of your total volume (65 / 20k). I would not be surprised if 65 GPD is generally accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.