Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is 65 GPD of Water Loss "Normal"?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is 65 GPD of Water Loss "Normal"?

As part of the construction I added a water meter (I have a separate power meter too) on the auto-fill line to the pool. I have been averaging about 65 GPD of water. The pool is very exposed to the wind and is a full infinity edge design. I see other posts about the pool going down an inch or so in a week, but that doesn't say how much water is being lost in GPD. With the infinity edge and the auto fill, the water level is always the same. The surge pond level varies a little when the filter pump kicks on. How can I determine if the water consumption is normal for this kind of pool and is 65 GPD seem in the normal range for this kind of pool? I got the water meter for about $70 on eBay with the necessary unions.
    April 1, 2015 first fill of infinity edge of about 15,000 gallons. Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen, iAquaLink, Jandy 2 HP variable filter pump, Jandy 2.5 HP single speed feature pump, Jandy CL580 cartridge filter, Jandy heat pump, Jandy propane heater, spa of unknown size, 3 LEDs in pool, 2 LEDs in surge pond and 1 LED in spa, Eclipse EC-10 Del Ozone oxidizer and 4 Jandy laminars with Jandy CS100 filter built by California Pools in 2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is 65 GPD of Water Loss "Normal"?

Converting inches lost to GPD requires the pool surface area which you did not mention. But a 500 sq-ft pool and 1" per week is 45 GPD. 2" per week, not untypical in the summer, would be 90 GPD.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sure it varies based on conditions.

65 gallons may seem like a big number but it is less than 1/3 of 1% of your total volume (65 / 20k). I would not be surprised if 65 GPD is generally accurate.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thanks.
    April 1, 2015 first fill of infinity edge of about 15,000 gallons. Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen, iAquaLink, Jandy 2 HP variable filter pump, Jandy 2.5 HP single speed feature pump, Jandy CL580 cartridge filter, Jandy heat pump, Jandy propane heater, spa of unknown size, 3 LEDs in pool, 2 LEDs in surge pond and 1 LED in spa, Eclipse EC-10 Del Ozone oxidizer and 4 Jandy laminars with Jandy CS100 filter built by California Pools in 2015.