Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2nd season pool and new refill of water

1. Back To Top    #1

2nd season pool and new refill of water

I just set up my pool yesterday and refilled with new water last night. This morning i perform a balance test, and as expected the pH is high, but what surprises me is the CYA is already around 30 without having added any chemicals yet. Am i incorrect in expecting CYA to be "0" with new water? Or should it have SOME CYA already in it? Last season was my 1st season ever of having a pool and i did OK and i have this site to thank for all the info ive learned here, not to mention the fun im having from actually doing the maintenance. Up until around September last year my water was sparkling clean, and thats when i learned about CYA /Chlorine relationships, so now im really critical to monitor that and im ready for another season, but this time armed with more knowledge
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2nd season pool and new refill of water

Spades that is so cool you know about the CYA/FC relationship.

I do have to ask how you are getting your numbers? What test kit or who is testing?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If the water was completely refilled, then the CYA is 0ppm. So I too wonder how you are testing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

AquaTek test strips. Looks like i need to get a different type of test kit.
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup. You need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. The FAS-DPD chlorine test is the key to a good kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Spades, is it okay if I link to this thread the next time I see a question about why test strips aren't acceptable?

It's great that you were able to recognize the discrepancy. Imagine if you treated the water according to the test strips?

The TF100 is the best buy, unless you have amazon prime and can get free shipping on a Taylor K-2006. If you want a TF100 and don't want to wait a week, here's a reseller in CA: Water Testing - TFTestkit TF-100 Seven Test Kit - TF-100
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Spades, is it okay if I link to this thread the next time I see a question about why test strips aren't acceptable?

It's great that you were able to recognize the discrepancy. Imagine if you treated the water according to the test strips?

The TF100 is the best buy, unless you have amazon prime and can get free shipping on a Taylor K-2006. If you want a TF100 and don't want to wait a week, here's a reseller in CA: Water Testing - TFTestkit TF-100 Seven Test Kit - TF-100
    Absolutely you can link to this site, and thanks for the link. And yes i need something quick, doing some reading now the difference between the K-2006 and TF-100 and ill be ordering it here real soon