Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maytronics Dolphin Pool Cleaner and Robot Information

1. Back To Top    #1

Maytronics Dolphin Pool Cleaner and Robot Information

Hi all. I've been trying to find the right cleaner for my new pool and have had a hard time understanding what was what. I've decided to share some of what I have found on here for others to reference.

First off, Maytronics is one of the biggest robot manufacturers. As I understand it, they make many of the robots on the market - including private labeling for brands like Pentair. There are a few other manufacturers, but the emphasis here is on Dolphin products (and you can see some crossover with brands like Pentair).

I'll start by saying that I hate their branding strategy! Perhaps it is genius... but it sucks for the consumer. Maytronics tens to have different models built for different channels. For example, some products are designed to be sold only through brick and morter stores while others are online only. Many are designed for specific retailers too, so don't believe the advertising from some companies that claim a particular model is the best Dolphin on the market.

I've called Maytronics on a few occasions to figure out which features I wanted and then found a place to buy my model. I plan on buying my model today and I'm 90% sure I am going to buy the Dolphin Supreme M500 (was named the M5 until this year). I'm about 10% on saving $212 and buying the M400/M4 - which has an inferior remote. The better remote give better controlling of the robot if I want to clean a particular spot AND it offers a bunch of specific program alterations for the robot that I find intriguing.

Maytronics has a website to view their non-private labeled brands. Please use this to learn about the specific products and features. Also, call them to learn even more after you have an idea of what you want.

Residential - Maytronics US, Inc.

A few specific points I found interesting:
    - When you see the brush on the front split, it has independent drives on it. This is better/costs more. You can easily see this by looking at a picture of the robot.
    - The top loading cartridge like on the M400/M500 allows for an extra middle brush - which helps to clean. Other models, like the DX line has a filter bag. The bag can hold more, but is a little harder to clean and it eliminates the middle brush cleaner. I've also heard the Z5 does NOT have the middle brush.
    - The M400/500 is exclusive to a massive pool supply master distributor. They sell to lots of smaller shops. This might add to the cost of this model.

Beyond what I have posted, I built a nice spreadsheet with about 10 models and their features to compare the differences. I pasted a picture below to save you some time and effort.

I hope this helps!

Robot Info 2.jpg
    DX3 DX4 DX6 Supreme M200 Supreme M400 Supreme M500 Dolphin M5 Liberty (Cordless) Dolphin Oasis Z5 Dolphin DX5 Plus Dolphin Deluxe 5 Dolphin Apollo Plus
    Part Number 99996333-DX3 99996343-DX4 99996369-DX6 Part Number 99996403-US 99991043-US 99991089-US 99994101-US Part Number 99991079-OAS 9999381-DX5 99996383 99996053-US
    DIY Yes Yes Yes DIY Yes Yes Yes Yes DIY Yes No Yes Yes
    Filter Type Filter Bag, Cartridge Kit Available Filter Bag, Cartridge Kit Available Filter Bag, Cartridge Kit Available Filter Type Cartridge Cartridge Cartridge Cartridge Filter Type Cartridge Filter Bag Filter Bag, Cartridge Kit Available Filter Bag, Cartridge Kit Available
    Scrubs Tile Line No Yes Yes Scrubs Tile Line No Yes Yes Yes Scrubs Tile Line Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Climbs Yes Yes Yes Climbs Yes Yes Yes Yes Climbs Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Remote None Basic Pro Remote None Basic (opt.) Pro Pro Remote Basic Pro Pro Basic
    Weekly Timer Yes Yes Yes Weekly Timer Yes Yes Yes No Weekly Timer No No Yes Yes
    Full Filter Indicator No Yes Yes Full Filter Indicator No Yes Yes Yes Full Filter Indicator No No Yes Yes
    Delayed Start No No No Delayed Start No Yes Yes No Delayed Start No Yes No No
    Caddy No No Yes Caddy No Yes Yes Yes Caddy Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Filter Access Bottom Bottom Bottom Filter Access Top Top Top Top Filter Access Top Bottom Bottom Bottom
    Cable Length 60 ft 60 ft 60 ft Cable Length 60 ft 60 ft 60 ft 3 ft floating cable for battery Cable Length 60 ft 60 ft 60 ft
    Cycle Time 3 hours 1 hour, 2.5 hours 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours Cycle Time 3 hours 1 hour, 2.5 hours 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours 1.5 hours Cycle Time 1.5 hours, 2.5 hours 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours 1 hour, 2.5 hours
    Warranty 18 Month Bumper-to-Bumper 24 Month Bumper-to-Bumper 36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty 24 Month Bumper-to-Bumper 36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper 36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper 36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty 36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper 36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper 36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper 36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper
    Suction Rate 4,233 gal/hr 4,233 gal/hr 4,233 gal/hr Suction Rate 4,233 gal/hr 4,233 gal/hr 4,233 gal/hr 4,233 gal/hr Suction Rate 4,233 gal/hr 4,233 gal/hr 4,233 gal/hr 4,233 gal/hr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Maytronics Dolphin Pool Cleaner and Robot Information

Hey, nice!

I love my M5 for sure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I saw that Patrick. Some of your past posts helped guide me this direction. I'm not sure how clean the picture I just posted shows, but the M5 has the most yellow down the middle. Do you find yourself using the remote features often? Or... often enough to pay an extra $200?
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

4. Back To Top    #4

That picture is too small to read ... and I am curious.

To post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hopefully that is better. The best method I came up with was to take a screen shot and post that pic plus add the text below. Hopefully that shows cleanly enough now.

6. Back To Top    #6

Great info. Thanks for doing this work.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm intrigued by the S300i model, introduced this year...but it's not on your list of "finalists" I guess. The S300i is interesting to me as it can be controlled via Bluetooth...I've always got my phone handy, but would have to remember to grab the Dolphin remote.

As has been mentioned, thanks for putting the table together!
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

8. Back To Top    #8

Mhosborn, you are correct. When I originally created the list (about a month ago), the S-line was brand new and I thought it was going to be too expensive. When I posted this (and made my purchase), I didn't even go back and consider it.

That being said... I haven't opened my M500 yet, so I just called Maytronics to get the scoop on the new line.

The S300i looks and sounds impressive. I have included 2 videos on it below. They are similar and I think the first is more informative.The upside to the S300i is that is is smaller and lighter weight. It also has a cooler design, has more intelligent mechanics, and a single filter area to catch both large and small particles. However, I am sticking with my M500. I decided against the S300i because it has a weaker warranty (2 yr vs 3 yr). The reason for this is the Maytronics gives it a lower expected lifetime. I believe the M500 is about 3000 hours whereas the S300i is in the 2 range. The M500 also has over 10% better suction rate and is considered more durable. All of this, plus the M4/500 have both been staples in the market for some time. The S300i may get there, but I wasn't prepared to become an early adopter.

Dolphin S-Series features - YouTube
    Dolphin S-series - quick user guide - YouTube