My SLAM is stalled!

she's out there right now :)

FC was around 12 this morning, CC at 4, and the water is definitely more clear than yesterday. I could see the bottom in the middle of the pool for the first time. We'll keep on brushing all weekend long, looks like we are finally making some headway.

Thinking about adding borate to the pool, considering that it is supposed to have algaestatic properties when ~50ppm, so that should help prevent growth while we kill whatever is left. Any thoughts on that?

she's out there right now :)

FC was around 12 this morning, CC at 4, and the water is definitely more clear than yesterday. I could see the bottom in the middle of the pool for the first time. We'll keep on brushing all weekend long, looks like we are finally making some headway.

Thinking about adding borate to the pool, considering that it is supposed to have algaestatic properties when ~50ppm, so that should help prevent growth while we kill whatever is left. Any thoughts on that?
Wait.

You'll be losing plenty of water backwashing during the SLAM, so why add borates only to dump them right out? Second argument: it's one more parameter to juggle. During the SLAM, all you watch is FC & CC - and maybe CYA if you've replaced a whole bunch of water by backwashing. Third argument: the pH test isn't accurate at shock level, so you can't do anything now.

Get the pool cleared, get the chemistry dialed in, and then once you're comfortable with it - usually a couple weeks will have you guessing the test results accurately before the first drop leaves the bottle - then you can add borates to the mix. I've never added them to my pool, because I'm continuously diluting to lose high CH and would lose borates. But my pool is crystal clear and has never had an algae bloom in five years of 365 days a a year open. Borates are totally optional.

I don't lose a whole lot of water during backwash since I have ball valves on inlet and return hoses. So I just close those and pump/filter is isolated. Flush that portion to waste, then open filter, hose everything down and flush, put everything together and then open valves to fill everything with water. My loss is limited to a few gallons.

But your point about pH is well taken. I guess that's hard to compensate for.

So we'll just keep on brushing and monitoring FC, CC and CYA for time being

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.