Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks TFP! Never been Pool Stored, Never will...

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks TFP! Never been Pool Stored, Never will...

In the age of instant information it absolutely floors me that individuals spend ungodly sums of $$ in order to maintain a pool! Before we purchased our new home/old pool the first thing I did was used Google and found this site. The science was correct (I am a scientist, for the lack of a better term) and I was hooked. I just thought I would give thanks to all the folks that help with this site. Your service is commendable! I thought I would share a few pictures with you!

Took off the Loop-Loc and found the following:

Testing

pH = 6.2 (Professional Digital Tester)
    FC = 0
    CC = 0
    CYA = 0
    CA = 60
    TA = 100

Day 4

Day 9

Day 14

Day 17

Today

FC = 10
    CC = 0
    pH = 7.6
    TA = 100
    CYA = 30
    CA = 225

Thanks a bunch!
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks TFP! Never been Pool Stored, Never will...

Nice work!

Might now consider raising the CYA a bit if your FC loss seems high. Although looks like you get a fair amount of shade.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice pool! Thanks for the feedback. Only like 14 gallons of bleach? Not bad!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Nice work!

Might now consider raising the CYA a bit if your FC loss seems high. Although looks like you get a fair amount of shade.
    Thanks! A fair amount of shade would be an understatement...the pool is surrounded by 40 to 60 foot maple, oak and sweet gum trees!
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

Congrats to you. Quite a transformation. That was an incredible color of green in the beginning. Wow.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Nice pool! Thanks for the feedback. Only like 14 gallons of bleach? Not bad!
    Thank you! That larger bucket is left over Cal Hypo. I used a fair amount of the Cal Hypo to raise my Calcium as well as supply FC.

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow! Nice work Indeed! Welcome aboard, that's how it's done man.

Hard to believe 14 gallons but hey, whatever works. Excellent...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Congrats to you. Quite a transformation. That was an incredible color of green in the beginning. Wow.
    LOL, that is a pretty shade of yuck!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

with all those trees, must be a spring and fall nightmare great looking pool
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Wow! Nice work Indeed! Welcome aboard, that's how it's done man.

Hard to believe 14 gallons but hey, whatever works. Excellent...
    The Cal Hypo supplied another 14 gallons or so of bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    with all those trees, must be a spring and fall nightmare great looking pool
    You can't even begin to believe what a PITA it becomes. I want to cut down 10 or 12, but the wife likes the privacy from the lake onlookers. I say let them look!

11. Back To Top    #11

Love it! That is such a pretty area! Do you have a leaf gulper? It is a must for a pool that has large number of leaves getting into it.

Amazon.com : Universal Leaf Gulper Pool Vacuum : Swimming Pool Pressure Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

How long have you been in the house. Is this your first time opening the pool?

You did an awesome job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

You really should take a sample in to the store, just to amuse your scientist brain.

Then you can play wheel of fortune.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Love it! That is such a pretty area! Do you have a leaf gulper? It is a must for a pool that has large number of leaves getting into it.

Amazon.com : Universal Leaf Gulper Pool Vacuum : Swimming Pool Pressure Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

How long have you been in the house. Is this your first time opening the pool?

You did an awesome job!

Kim
    Kim -

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, we have a leaf bagger/gulper! I would have to bring in few truck loads of fill dirt if not for that thing. We open late and close early because of the leaves.

We have been in the house two years and had to do some major plumbing repair the first year to get the pool open. The first year we drained and refilled the pool so we did not have to do a SLAM. I closed the pool early because of the fall leaves. I pulled off the loop-loc to this yuck. So, yes it really is the first time I have opened the pool.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You really should take a sample in to the store, just to amuse your scientist brain.

Then you can play wheel of fortune.

I have been in two pool stores in two years, and it only took 5 minutes to realize the hogwash they are telling these poor people. Here, put in this phosphate remover and your green pool will be perfect! How on earth can phosphates be utilized when the chlorine in a properly maintained pool has eliminated the algae. If I were swimming in reef fish tank I can understand a need to rid the water of po4!

As for me taking a sample into the store...I just don't think my soul could stand the sight of a bronzed bod guy named Kato testing my water and offering me his expert opinion! On the other hand it just might make my day. Laughter is the best medicine, correct?

15. Back To Top    #15

Nice job!
    I have a few acres of trees, and worse, my pool's at the bottom of a terrace, so I get a zillion leaves too. I still open early and close late though because I've discovered I like leaf raking better than slamming

One thing that helps with leaf management for us is "the pool skim" attached to the south return, kitty corner to the skimmer. Far fewer leaves sink because the Venturi action draws them into the pool skim, and the skimmer basket doesn't fill up as fast. If you haven't tried one, here's a link to take a look: Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

16. Back To Top    #16

Swamp woman -

I like the idea very much! The only concern I have is the fact it sticks off the end of the return...do you have any issues with kids hitting the skimmer and breaking the connector close to that union? Otherwise I do believe I'll get one!

17. Back To Top    #17

My kid is 24, so while he generally doesn't follow my instruction on much of anything, he also generally knows to avoid breaking the pool or he'll be banned

But seriously, my robot hits the thing every day and has not harmed it yet...just need to re-slant it it afterwards or sometimes the little "hat" insert needs to be slid back in after waves generated from vigorous aqua-jogging It's pretty tough, so I think you'll be fine.

Ive also now added a SKIM DR. to the skimmer as well, which increases venturi effect and also seems to pull more in (physics is my friend : here's a link to that too, since you sound game for the "clear-the-surface" obsession that I possess Amazon.com : SkimDoctor 1.0 : Patio, Lawn Garden
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you very much! I'll go ahead and get both.