New Build - W. Palm Beach, FL

Herky

Jun 17, 2014
Iowa
Have gotten a few initial bids from pool builders, and wanted to see if anyone had input on everything.

12x29' rectangle European edge pool.
3'6"-4'6"
3 steps w/ rail.
3hp variable speed pump
Cartridge filter (200sq ft)
3 LED lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa)
1 main drain
Gutter skimmers
4 returns
1 vac line
400,000 BTU gas heater
Intellitouch I-7 controller
200 gallon collector tank w/ autofill and overflow

Spa:
7'x7' (flush with waterline of pool)
10 jets
2' spillway
3hp booster pump

Have the choice of pebble tech, pebble sheen, pebble fina, diamond brite, or gemcoat finish

This is a photo of a pool that this one is based off of.
pool.jpg

Any tips would be appreciated!

I'm sure that's code everywhere. People commonly say all manner of descriptions that mean two drain covers (or one long compliant one) and ultimately one suction line going back to the pump. But good to be sure.

I'm guessing no palm trees though there in IA?

Don't see many perimeter overflow pools being built. They are very cool looking though. How about a before pic from the back yard?

- - - Updated - - -

I think a railing like Kelly Klein has above would look sharp. A regular round stainless railing may seem pedestrian on such a cool pool design. What style are you planning?

Sorry - I got confused by your Iowa Location and your West Palm title. Palms should be available down there.:)

same railing as in the photo. Really like the sleek look

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure that's code everywhere. People commonly say all manner of descriptions that mean two drain covers (or one long compliant one) and ultimately one suction line going back to the pump. But good to be sure.

I'm guessing no palm trees though there in IA?

Don't see many perimeter overflow pools being built. They are very cool looking though. How about a before pic from the back yard?

- - - Updated - - -

I think a railing like Kelly Klein has above would look sharp. A regular round stainless railing may seem pedestrian on such a cool pool design. What style are you planning?

backyard.jpg The yard is the one to the right. House will also be torn down and rebuilt with a modern design

Sweet, a tear-down. I hope you'll share some progress pics with us. As for possibly helpful comments from me:

People here have good comments about robots for cleaning as opposed to either a pressure or suction side cleaner as you mention, some of which require a booster pump.

Get everything you can think of in writing in the contract, model numbers of every piece of equipment, exact depth profile, benches, plumbing sizes, exact equipment location and layout (relative to windows for noise, appearance etc.), light locations (facing away from house), etc. They may moan about doing so but that's not your concern.

One item seems contradictory, spa being level with the waterline and a 2' spillway. Wouldn't a spillway necessitate it being above the waterline to have some height to spill from? Otherwise a spillway is just an opening between the two bodies of water.

What will your chlorination method be? Depending on which method, that could lead to other helpful information.

Most feel for payment terms if you can get 5 percent or more held until all items are completed, that is beneficial.

And last but not least, don't expect it to go too smoothly or too quickly. If it does you'll be pleasantly surprised. You'll also have the house project to distract you.

Best of luck! Very exciting I'm sure.

The SPA has a 3hp booster pump?
I'm all for horsepower, but don't the SPA jets normally run off the Main filter pump and a blower?
What is the booster's purpose?

What material are you using for the coping? I would want that very specifically outlined (or a specific allowance) in the agreement. Will you enclose in a screen or leave open?

I agree the 3 hp booster for the spa seems extreme. We have a 1hp blower on a 7' wide spa and it is at the top limit of what is comfortable, IMO.

p1ay6hm.jpg

Have gotten a few initial bids from pool builders, and wanted to see if anyone had input on everything.

12x29' rectangle European edge pool.
3'6"-4'6"
3 steps w/ rail.
3hp variable speed pump
Cartridge filter (200sq ft)
3 LED lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa)
1 main drain
Gutter skimmers
4 returns
1 vac line
400,000 BTU gas heater
Intellitouch I-7 controller
200 gallon collector tank w/ autofill and overflow

Spa:
7'x7' (flush with waterline of pool)
10 jets
2' spillway
3hp booster pump

Have the choice of pebble tech, pebble sheen, pebble fina, diamond brite, or gemcoat finish

This is a photo of a pool that this one is based off of.
View attachment 38692

Any tips would be appreciated!

I really like the look of that design. We're building something very similar. Love the coping only pools, wish they were more practical. With 3 kids I can't see how I'd keep it looking so neat and mowing the lawn would be nearly impossible. Going to need some pool deck for our build. Can't wait to watch your build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.