Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Build - W. Palm Beach, FL

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build - W. Palm Beach, FL

Have gotten a few initial bids from pool builders, and wanted to see if anyone had input on everything.

12x29' rectangle European edge pool.
    3'6"-4'6"
    3 steps w/ rail.
    3hp variable speed pump
    Cartridge filter (200sq ft)
    3 LED lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa)
    1 main drain
    Gutter skimmers
    4 returns
    1 vac line
    400,000 BTU gas heater
    Intellitouch I-7 controller
    200 gallon collector tank w/ autofill and overflow

Spa:
    7'x7' (flush with waterline of pool)
    10 jets
    2' spillway
    3hp booster pump

Have the choice of pebble tech, pebble sheen, pebble fina, diamond brite, or gemcoat finish

This is a photo of a pool that this one is based off of.
    pool.jpg

Any tips would be appreciated!
    25,000 gallon inground plaster pool with attached spa. Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Build - W. Palm Beach, FL

I know its code where I live to have two drains in parallel to prevent someone from being stuck to the bottom as can happen with only one drain.
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I'm sure that's code everywhere. People commonly say all manner of descriptions that mean two drain covers (or one long compliant one) and ultimately one suction line going back to the pump. But good to be sure.

I'm guessing no palm trees though there in IA?

Don't see many perimeter overflow pools being built. They are very cool looking though. How about a before pic from the back yard?

- - - Updated - - -

I think a railing like Kelly Klein has above would look sharp. A regular round stainless railing may seem pedestrian on such a cool pool design. What style are you planning?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Sorry - I got confused by your Iowa Location and your West Palm title. Palms should be available down there.
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking

5. Back To Top    #5

same railing as in the photo. Really like the sleek look

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    I'm sure that's code everywhere. People commonly say all manner of descriptions that mean two drain covers (or one long compliant one) and ultimately one suction line going back to the pump. But good to be sure.

I'm guessing no palm trees though there in IA?

Don't see many perimeter overflow pools being built. They are very cool looking though. How about a before pic from the back yard?

- - - Updated - - -

I think a railing like Kelly Klein has above would look sharp. A regular round stainless railing may seem pedestrian on such a cool pool design. What style are you planning?
    backyard.jpg The yard is the one to the right. House will also be torn down and rebuilt with a modern design
    25,000 gallon inground plaster pool with attached spa. Sand filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Sweet, a tear-down. I hope you'll share some progress pics with us. As for possibly helpful comments from me:

People here have good comments about robots for cleaning as opposed to either a pressure or suction side cleaner as you mention, some of which require a booster pump.

Get everything you can think of in writing in the contract, model numbers of every piece of equipment, exact depth profile, benches, plumbing sizes, exact equipment location and layout (relative to windows for noise, appearance etc.), light locations (facing away from house), etc. They may moan about doing so but that's not your concern.

One item seems contradictory, spa being level with the waterline and a 2' spillway. Wouldn't a spillway necessitate it being above the waterline to have some height to spill from? Otherwise a spillway is just an opening between the two bodies of water.

What will your chlorination method be? Depending on which method, that could lead to other helpful information.

Most feel for payment terms if you can get 5 percent or more held until all items are completed, that is beneficial.

And last but not least, don't expect it to go too smoothly or too quickly. If it does you'll be pleasantly surprised. You'll also have the house project to distract you.

Best of luck! Very exciting I'm sure.

7. Back To Top    #7

The SPA has a 3hp booster pump?
    I'm all for horsepower, but don't the SPA jets normally run off the Main filter pump and a blower?
    What is the booster's purpose?
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

What material are you using for the coping? I would want that very specifically outlined (or a specific allowance) in the agreement. Will you enclose in a screen or leave open?

I agree the 3 hp booster for the spa seems extreme. We have a 1hp blower on a 7' wide spa and it is at the top limit of what is comfortable, IMO.

COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Herky View Post
    Have gotten a few initial bids from pool builders, and wanted to see if anyone had input on everything.

12x29' rectangle European edge pool.
    3'6"-4'6"
    3 steps w/ rail.
    3hp variable speed pump
    Cartridge filter (200sq ft)
    3 LED lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa)
    1 main drain
    Gutter skimmers
    4 returns
    1 vac line
    400,000 BTU gas heater
    Intellitouch I-7 controller
    200 gallon collector tank w/ autofill and overflow

Spa:
    7'x7' (flush with waterline of pool)
    10 jets
    2' spillway
    3hp booster pump

Have the choice of pebble tech, pebble sheen, pebble fina, diamond brite, or gemcoat finish

This is a photo of a pool that this one is based off of.
    pool.jpg

Any tips would be appreciated!
    I really like the look of that design. We're building something very similar. Love the coping only pools, wish they were more practical. With 3 kids I can't see how I'd keep it looking so neat and mowing the lawn would be nearly impossible. Going to need some pool deck for our build. Can't wait to watch your build.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Amazing!!! Can't wait to watch this one!!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

How's the process going?