Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat your pool with your AC unit

1. Back To Top    #1

Montville NJ

Heat your pool with your AC unit

Does anybody have any experience with this thing

Heat Recovery Pool Heater | Compare To Solar Pool Heater | HotSpot Energy LLC

Essentially it hooks up to your AC compressor, and instead of your AC using a fan to dump waste heat to the air, the unit circulates your pool water. So, the waste heat from your AC ends up heating your pool. Essentially it makes your AC unit more efficient, and also heats your pool.

I found this thing by accident. I was out by my AC compressor, which was blowing hot air all over the place, while my wife had just been saying that we need to get a reel for the solar cover because it is a pain to take off and on.

The thought hit me "I wonder if it is possible to use the waste heat from my central AC to heat my pool". A quick bit of googlng, and lo and behold, someone actually makes a product for this.

I am going to ask them for a price quote, but does anybody have any experience with these units?

27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Heat your pool with your AC unit

I've looked at their web site a few times and did some rough estimates on cost, figuring in my case it would probably not be economical.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Minnesota

Re: Heat your pool with your AC unit

Using the search box here and knowing I had seen some posts about it before this might be helpful: hotspot heater
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons