Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: posts about scented bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

posts about scented bleach

I tried to search but I couldn't find many posts about WHY we shouldn't use scented bleach. What if I want my pool to smell lemony fresh?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

Re: posts about scented bleach

They usually advise against adding unnecessary additives to your pool water. It can be hard to determine ahead of time what the affects will be, and even harder to guess how to correct it. It may adversely affect some of the other chemicals needed.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

The scent lasts much longer than the chlorine, so it will build up if you keep using it and if you decide you don't want it anymore you will be out of luck. Your pool won't be the only thing smelling lemony fresh either, everyone who swims will as well and it may not just shower off.

Also, you don't know what is in it. The general rule is if you don't know what is in it then don't add it. That all said, you probably won't actually hurt anything by adding it, but if anything goes wrong everyone is going to point to your use of scented bleach as a possible cause.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tallahassee, FL

We have seen where the "special" bleach caused foaming.

It is best to not add anything extra to your pool.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

San Rafael, CA USA

It's the splash-less or outdoor bleaches that contain thickeners that cause foaming. The ones that are just scented-only are less of a problem, but as was noted above we generally avoid putting extra things into the water that you don't need. It's your pool and you can do what you want with it, but we have no prescription for removing the scented chemical if you decide to do so -- other than water replacement -- and we have no guarantees that it won't cause any other problems.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"