Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't get dirt out the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

can't get dirt out the pool

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. My numbers are great when I test. FC 4, CC 0, PH 7.4-7.6( been getting a lot of rain) TA 70, CYA 50. The water is clear and clean, the problem is dirt on the bottom of the pool. I will be posting a pic as soon as I can figure it out. I vacuumed 2 days ago and its been 3-4 days since anyone has been in it, yet the bottom is filthy. when I vacuum, I put a stocking over the skimmer basket to catch the small stuff. I did notice yesterday when the pump kicked on, it looked like it shot a cloud of dirt through the return. Anyone have some advice? I will get a pic up as soon as I can
    Intex Ultra frame 22'x52"
    Heritage wide mouth skimmer
    Intex 14" 3/4 HP filter/pump PVC piped
    This is our second year with the pool, hoping for some crystal clear trouble free fun this summer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can't get dirt out the pool

Silly question maybe, but have you cleaned the filter lately?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is our second year with the pool, hoping for some crystal clear trouble free fun this summer.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is that a 14" Sand filter listed in your signature? Have you tried deep cleaning it? If Sand clumps up, it forms clods that have gaps between them and fine sediment can pass right through.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Silly question maybe, but have you cleaned the filter lately?

I backwashed about a week ago

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Is that a 14" Sand filter listed in your signature? Have you tried deep cleaning it? If Sand clumps up, it forms clods that have gaps between them and fine sediment can pass right through.
    I super cleaned it and put fresh sand when I installed everything about a month ago. Could it be that dirty already?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by lucky1182 View Post
    I backwashed about a week ago

- - - Updated - - -

I super cleaned it and put fresh sand when I installed everything about a month ago. Could it be that dirty already?
    Probably not.

And now I can see the picture and it looks like algae clumping. Does the dust resemble aquatic dustbunnies? Does it go poof and disappear when you approach it with the brush or vacuum? If so, it's algae. Kill it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Probably not.

And now I can see the picture and it looks like algae clumping. Does the dust resemble aquatic dustbunnies? Does it go poof and disappear when you approach it with the brush or vacuum? If so, it's algae. Kill it.
    that's exactly what it does when I get close to it. So would SLAMing be the way to go? FC has never been below2. CC has never been above 0. can alge still grow?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, algae can still grow (and has), and it sounds like you do need to SLAM. Use the CHlorine/CYA Chart (link below) and match-up your current CYA to your SLAM FC level. Keep it there until:
    1. Water is clear
    2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
    3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
    ** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.

That chart is extremely important for SLAM and every day pool care. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure to sweep/brush anything you see like that, and check any hidden spots that algae my hide (i.e. lights, ladders, etc)
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

that's exactly what it does when I get close to it. So would SLAMing be the way to go? FC has never been below2. CC has never been above 0. can alge still grow?
    Yes. Because there are dead spots in the pool with poor circulation. It's not 2 FC everywhere, and right up next to some algae, there's probably none and if more chlorinated water doesn't get moved in to replace it, you have an algae bloom.

You're lucky - you're almost there. A day or two at shock level and some serious brushing and it'll disappear and the water will sparkle. Just follow the instructions for the SLAM. Pay attention to Texas Splash's advice, too.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone for the help. I got home from work and tested the pool

FC 3
    CC 0
    CYA 50
    PH 7.4
    TA 70
    I added 387 oz of bleach, according to the pool calculator. Actually a little more just to empty the jug. I added the bleach about 5:30 this evening. I brushed it for about an hour. I'll continue testing, brushing, and bleaching until the OCLT is good. Thanks again for all the help. I will keep updating and let y'all know how it's going

11. Back To Top    #11

Update

Just checked the pool, only 2 hours after brushing the pool cap was settling on the bottom again so I brushed it again. Fc is at 25. Will check it again in the morning

12. Back To Top    #12

Keep up the good work. It will pay-off.

13. Back To Top    #13

6/19 update
    Tested at 7:30 this morning FC 20.5 dropped 4.5 over night. Raised FC back to 25 and brushed it again. Luckily I have a 3 day weekend so I can hopefully get this right before Sunday

14. Back To Top    #14

Stay with it and "Maintain". Eventually your FC will begin to stay stead as it wins the on-going battle over the algae. Have a nice weekend.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I get that stuff too. In my case, it's just silt. I added some DE to my sand filter, and it helps a little. But no matter what I do, there's a certain amount of it every day to be vacuumed up. That's the result of living in a dry, windy climate -- lots of dust settles in the pool. Other than covering the pool when it's not in use, I don't know what you can do about it.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

16. Back To Top    #16

Just tested again, I'm at 22 FC. I brushed the pool about 4 times today and added a total of 2 gals bleach. I also back washed the filter. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I added 1 gal of bleach direct to the skimmer. Will test again in the morning and keep this going

17. Back To Top    #17

6/20 a.m. Update

Over the last 7 hours FC has stayed at 22, CC has stayed 0. When I get back from fishing I plan on vacuuming and back washing the filter

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I get that stuff too. In my case, it's just silt. I added some DE to my sand filter, and it helps a little. But no matter what I do, there's a certain amount of it every day to be vacuumed up. That's the result of living in a dry, windy climate -- lots of dust settles in the pool. Other than covering the pool when it's not in use, I don't know what you can do about it.
    Once I get through this SLAM I'm thinking about adding DE to the filter. Definitely not a dry climate here. Humidity is always crazy and we've been getting rain almost every other day.

18. Back To Top    #18

Good job staying with that SLAM!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Good job staying with that SLAM!
    Thanks for the support

So I got home around 1 and noticed the stuff and the bottom was a lot less and also more green in color. Also when I brushed it the cloud was very light in color not brown like it has been. Anyone have some info on that?

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks for the support

So I got home around 1 and noticed the stuff and the bottom was a lot less and also more green in color. Also when I brushed it the cloud was very light in color not brown like it has been. Anyone have some info on that?
    It's being bleached.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast