Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What system to use?

1. Back To Top    #1

What system to use?

I have a 12,000 gal plaster outdoor pool (no spa) . I have a Pentair variable speed pump and a SolarTouch controlling the solar. The system works great as is, but we want to add a SWG.

Looking at the Pentair SWG it doesn't seem like I can use this without one of their controllers. Is this true?

I don't need to be able to control the pool from anywhere other than by the pool. I live in San Diego and the solar is keeping my pool at 79* with just solar and the pump running at higher speed pushing water to the panels for about 5 hours. When the water hits 79* the pump runs at slow speed. I share this just to show that I don't need a bunch of fancy electronics

How would you add solar to this system?
    12,000 gallon IG plaster
    Cartridge filter
    Intellifo VS
    EasyTouch Controller
    Pentair SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What system to use?

Any SWG system can be installed into your pool system without the need of automation. You need to buy a complete SWG system which includes its controls and transformer, not just the cell, and wire it to the pump circuit.

The only con with the Pentair SWG is that the controls only allow the output to be adjusted in 20% increments without automation but you can integrate it in if you want to.

Adding a SWG will not impact the solar system.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward systems are also recommended by users here, I believe they have 10% increments. When choosing what size cell to get, it's recommended here that you double your pool volume and purchase a SWG rated for that volume. Enables running at a lower output, longer cell life.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

The Hayward goes down to 1% increments.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process