Raising Alkalinity

So I've just finished the SLAM mentioned here on our pool (took about a week and a half) and I can see the liner pattern in the deep end for the first time since buying the house last year. :D

Next, though, my PH and alkalinity are too low (PH 6.8, ALK 60) and I just opened the pail to discover I don't have nearly enough Alka-booster to bring it back up...just wondering is there anything else I can use (we have lye at home) or do I have to bite the bullet and go to the pool shop tonight.

Just wondering.

Welcome, eh? :wave:

I suspect alka boost is just repackaged overpriced baking soda. That being said, your alkalinity isn't that low. Your pH is what needs raising. Borax or washing soda will raise pH. Washing soda aka soda ash aka pH Up aka Sodium Carbonate (Not BIcarbonate) will boost pH and alkalinity at the same time.

Thanks!
I do have one return pointed up, I just have to find somewhere that sells Borax or washing soda around here - they're surprisingly hard to find in our grocery stores.

I'll see what I can find after work tonight.

Update - looks like I can find Borax and A&H Washing Soda at the local CO-OP...I'm just picturing the look on my husband's face if I come home tonight and dump Borax into the pool. LOL!

One more quick question: Would it be better to broadcast it through the pool or add it to the filter, or does it matter?

Thanks!
I do have one return pointed up, I just have to find somewhere that sells Borax or washing soda around here - they're surprisingly hard to find in our grocery stores.

I'll see what I can find after work tonight.

Update - looks like I can find Borax and A&H Washing Soda at the local CO-OP...I'm just picturing the look on my husband's face if I come home tonight and dump Borax into the pool. LOL!

One more quick question: Would it be better to broadcast it through the pool or add it to the filter, or does it matter?
What chemical does what and how to add it is in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.