Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising Alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising Alkalinity

So I've just finished the SLAM mentioned here on our pool (took about a week and a half) and I can see the liner pattern in the deep end for the first time since buying the house last year.

Next, though, my PH and alkalinity are too low (PH 6.8, ALK 60) and I just opened the pail to discover I don't have nearly enough Alka-booster to bring it back up...just wondering is there anything else I can use (we have lye at home) or do I have to bite the bullet and go to the pool shop tonight.

Just wondering.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising Alkalinity

Welcome, eh?

I suspect alka boost is just repackaged overpriced baking soda. That being said, your alkalinity isn't that low. Your pH is what needs raising. Borax or washing soda will raise pH. Washing soda aka soda ash aka pH Up aka Sodium Carbonate (Not BIcarbonate) will boost pH and alkalinity at the same time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

also, point one of your returns at the surface of the pool. the agitation/aeration will also raise the pH. I agree with Richard, your TA isn't way off.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!
    I do have one return pointed up, I just have to find somewhere that sells Borax or washing soda around here - they're surprisingly hard to find in our grocery stores.

I'll see what I can find after work tonight.

Update - looks like I can find Borax and A&H Washing Soda at the local CO-OP...I'm just picturing the look on my husband's face if I come home tonight and dump Borax into the pool. LOL!

One more quick question: Would it be better to broadcast it through the pool or add it to the filter, or does it matter?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Girl View Post
    Thanks!
    I do have one return pointed up, I just have to find somewhere that sells Borax or washing soda around here - they're surprisingly hard to find in our grocery stores.

I'll see what I can find after work tonight.

Update - looks like I can find Borax and A&H Washing Soda at the local CO-OP...I'm just picturing the look on my husband's face if I come home tonight and dump Borax into the pool. LOL!

One more quick question: Would it be better to broadcast it through the pool or add it to the filter, or does it matter?
    What chemical does what and how to add it is in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!
    I'll be printing that one out and hanging it on the pool shed wall next to my print out of how to do a SLAM.
    I'm going to have a lot of bedtime reading for the next few days.
    ~22,000 gallon (80000L) in-ground, vinyl pool