Everyone's best product to make life easier??

Mar 22, 2008
I just finished my first summer with a pool and it seems winter is pretty easy since my Chlorine level like never drops lately.
So I did BBB last summer and it was okay, What I want to know is what equipment is out there to make maintaing the pool easier. What is your favorite product/addition to make your pool life easier.

As is signature I have basic Hayward pump with dedicated suction for cleaner, nothing special, as well as solar pool heater.

I think that the Wall Whale has been the best thing to come along for me to make my pool upkeep easier. There are places in my pool that are just really difficult to brush adequately based on the fact that I can't reach them very well. With the Wall Whale, I can actually brush fairly effectively by reaching over with one hand to brush. The spoiler on the Wall Whale provides the appropriate amount of force to get the job done. I just push and it does the rest. Great tool!

I am very happy that we got a PH sensor controlling an automatic acid feed system. The PH automation, combined with the SWG, takes care of 90% of all the chemical adjustments automatically. The system was expensive, so it isn't for everyone, but it sure made my life easier!

nitz369 said:
How hard and expensive is a SWG to add? Is it something I can do myself?

SWGs start around $200 and go up to well over $1000. Most of the better quality units cost around $800 (Internet prices).

Installing a SWG requires making plumbing connections with PVC pipe and electrical wiring. These are both things that anyone who is reasonably handy should be able to handle, but hardly something that everyone would be comfortable doing.

I stumbled on this one:

I picked up a pole with a spring loaded gripper to change a light bulb on my cathedral ceiling. Turns out, the water sample bottle that Leslies gives you fits perfectly in the gripper. I put the bottle in the gripper and dunk it several feet down to take a sample of pool water and then do my testing at the kitchen table. This is especially helpful in the winter when the water is COLD. I don't have to get my hands wet or even bend down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My favorites in a nut shell, I own a swimming pool maintenance & repair business.

1.) Pentair's VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump is amazing, every pool should have this pump if not just for the built in safety features and redundancies like the SVRS feature.

2.) As far as automatic cleaners go my two favorites are in order.."The Pool Cleaner" by poolvergnuegen. I love that it's got an enormous debris bag, at least 10-15% larger bag than on a Polaris 280 or 380 series. I love how much easier the hose kit works on the poolvergnuegen and that it doesn't leak at the swivels like the Legend II or the Polaris 360. IMO it's the most durable "affordable" cleaner I've used, Leslies won't sell these and hopes that they disapear because they don't break and create a profit margin with frequent repairs. These cleaners are also available as a suction type or pressure side which is a huge bonus. I personally like the four wheel models to the two.

My other favorite cleaner is the Zodiac G3/G4 models. I love it's ease of operation, accuracy, non abrasive diaphragm making it more friendly to various pool surfaces where often "wheeled" or abrasive cleaners like pool vac ultras and Navigators tear up plaster. Again this model is over built and rarely needs servicing.

-Ryan

For me, I think the Wall Whale has got to be the winner. The price is nice, and it performs exactly the way its supposed to. Second place would be the solar blanket. Without an installed heater, this allows us to enjoy the pool about two months longer than we would without it.

1.a. This site!
1.b. A Good Test Kit. The info from here on how to use it, not needing to "take a sample to the store" to know what is going on, or needs to go in is so rewarding. Knowledge is Power!
2. Aquabot - I'll run it every other day instead of the filter pump, it's cut my electric bill quite a bit. I haven't used the manual vac in years, and only have to brush behind the ladder.
3. SWCG running with the filter pump every other day means significantly fewer bleach bottles in the trash!
4. Twenty Mule Team Borax - it may be just in my mind, but since it went in the water feels softer, I haven't had any algae, and I haven't bought any $15/quart Polyquat Algacide.

Definitely the Aquabot Turbo 2.

That thing saved my summer.
2 years ago before I had it, my pool always looked dirty. Even right after I cleaned it :lol:

Now I put "SAM the pool cleaning man" in there 2 or 3 times a week and the pool always looks as clean as could be and the water is always sparkling bright blue.

Greatest investment I ever made for the pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.