Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low CH - recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Low CH - recommendations?

I should have done a full test on my pool when we opened, but all looked good, and, well...here goes:

FC: 4
    CC: 0
    TC: 4
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 70
    CH: 120 (yikes!)
    CYA: 20-30 (I could just call it 25. It's hard to tell. Did the test a few times. We've had a lot of rain and we vacuumed to waste recently so it makes sense that it's low).

Sooo clearly I need to increase CH. It's been a while since I've had to increase CH. What do you recommend I get? I know walmart sells some stuff, just not sure if that's best or not. And can we swim pretty soon after? I have a friends coming to swim tomorrow morning.

Thank you so much! Pool looks great, though, aside from what looked like something happening to the bottom of it (leaching or something?), which led me to do the full test and become concerned about CH. No algae or anything, either, by the way.
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Low CH - recommendations?

Don't add anything until your party is over.

After that, add Calcium chloride to bring your pool up to 250 ppm.

Increase your CYA to around 40-50 ppm

Out of curiosity, what is the CH of your fill water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Don't add anything until your party is over.

After that, add Calcium chloride to bring your pool up to 250 ppm.

Increase your CYA to around 40-50 ppm

Out of curiosity, what is the CH of your fill water?

I just tested the fill water because I've never tested it to see what the CH is for it (or anything else for that matter - just tested CH this time), and it's at 30. Is that good/bad/anything?
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DanaSC View Post
    I just tested the fill water because I've never tested it to see what the CH is for it (or anything else for that matter - just tested CH this time), and it's at 30. Is that good/bad/anything?
    I'd say it's good. Once you get CH up to snuff, it won't climb very fast from evaporation and refilling.

Do what Dave suggests: wait until after the party to add. It's not uncommon for Calcium to cloud the water for a day or two after it's been added. You don't want that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. But aside from the possible cloudiness, the pool is safe to swim in after letting it run for some time (overnight?) after adding the calcium chloride?

Thanks so much for the help!!
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Absolutely. Many of us have tap water with higher CH than your pool will have.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Bought the calcium hardness increaser (calcium chloride) from Walmart. Instructions say to split the amount needed into three separate applications, spread 6 hours apart. From my calculations I need about 16 lbs, so I just bought 15 lbs. Do you agree that I should do the 5lbs at a time with six hours apart? Thanks! And can I do the stabilizer at the same time?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DanaSC View Post
    Bought the calcium hardness increaser (calcium chloride) from Walmart. Instructions say to split the amount needed into three separate applications, spread 6 hours apart. From my calculations I need about 16 lbs, so I just bought 15 lbs. Do you agree that I should do the 5lbs at a time with six hours apart? Thanks! And can I do the stabilizer at the same time?
    Yes to all of it. Stabilizer will be sitting in the skimmer or just hanging there slowly dissolving. Calcium can cause cloudiness in the pool. I'd bet it will. Splitting the dose up should minimize the clouding and give it time to dissipate between doses. Brushing will help get any that settles out back into suspension. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks so much Richard!
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Commenting on this thread again since it's along the same lines. Calcium is low again. Granted, we just had 15+ inches of rain in 3 days, but I still would like to know if there is anything other than that record-breaking rain (and draining the pool 5 times because of it to keep it from overflowing) that could be causing my calcium to get so low? Current readings:

FC: 5.5
    CC: 0
    TC: 5.5
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 60
    CH: 110
    CYA: 40
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome back! Water exchange would be the only thing that would've lowered your CH (and CYA for that matter). Blame it on Joaquin.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you! Sounds good. I just wanted to be sure we didn't have some other bigger problem. Just a dirty pool is all we have. I can't complain then. Thanks!
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100