Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Wife wanting me to go to the pool store!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Wife wanting me to go to the pool store!

Hi all. I have be a brand new IG gunite pool. We got water in a week ago and I've been brushing and everything to get it ready for swimming. About 3 days ago, we received a ton of rain in the Houston area which turned my water cloudy. To this point, we had no chlorine in the pool due to startup. On day 5 of startup (after 1 big day of rain), I added 10% liquid chlorine "shock" to get FC in the pool and avoid algae. I've maintained numbers with pump running the since startup (with filter cleans) but I can't kick the haze.

Current numbers are:

PH 7.2 (I've walked this down from >8.2 at fill and it likes to rise on me. Trying to keep the PH a little low early on to help me clean off the Wet Edge pebble dust.)
    FC 5
    CC 0
    CH 350 (I've walked this up from 50 at fill)
    TA 100 (I've walked this down from 310 at fill)
    CYA Haven't tests lately. Was at 0. Added a sock in each skimmer with a few pounds on there, but I understand this can take up to a week to register.

There is no discoloration to the pool - simply not clear. It was crystal clear until the rain got after it. Now, I can't even see my drains in the deep end of our 7' pool.

Any thoughts? I want to nip this one quickly before the wife hires a pool guy. Thanks!
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Wife wanting me to go to the pool store!

What did you target for CYA? Use that to determine shock level and hit the algae now. It hasn't had time to really infiltrate behind lights and so on, so it should stop reproducing and die off and get filtered out pretty quick.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello! Because you have a new pool, please make sure you review this thread: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

You also want to make sure you keep good notes on everything you do in the early stages and follow your PB's instructions to not void any warranty on your new plaster.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard, target was CYA. Pool math suggested adding 8# of stabilizer. I could only get 2# in each of 2 socks, so I will be adding the other 4 over the next week as I continue to test. I added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine at the onset of the clouds. It took my FC from 0 to 7 in a hurry. I have dropped to 5 in a day. However, I'm thinking this haze isn't an algae and am considering getting a pool store chemical to remove clouds.

Texas, I've been all over it. I also have detailed notes of chemical levels and what has been added. My plaster company recommended TA at 80-100ppm, PH at 7.2-7.4 and CH at 180PPM for the first 4 days. On day 5, they suggest getting FC to an ideal range (1-3) and CYA not to exceed 50. At this point they also suggest getting TA (80-120), PH (7.4-7.6) and CH (2-400) to ideal ranges as well.

Nothing seems to be speaking to the unclear water though...
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

5. Back To Top    #5

The one thing that jumps-put at me in your recent note is about the FC range "the builder" suggested as ideal. Just be careful about that since many people outside of TFP don't understand the relationship between FC and CYA as noted on the TFP Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below).

I would resist the temptation to buy any products from the pool store since they typically don't work or only serve as a Band-Aid fix. As Richard noted above, implement a SLAM (link below). Even though your CYA is still very low or just trying to build, maintaining the FC level at a SLAM level might be just what your water needs.

Say, one last question because I didn't see it above anywhere .... what test kit are you using?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by TW Pool View Post
    Richard, target was CYA. Pool math suggested adding 8# of stabilizer. I could only get 2# in each of 2 socks, so I will be adding the other 4 over the next week as I continue to test.
    What "goal" number were you using for the CYA that it told you to add 8 pounds?

In a manually chlorinated pool you want to start at around 40 and move it up if yo have too much loss to the sun. If you go to CYA 40, the absolute minimum FC is 3 and I would target 5.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Test kit is TF100 with Speed Stir. I guess I didn't include that in my signature. I will add it.

Tim, I have 40 as the goal on CYA coming from 0. It says to add 123oz by weight. That is ~8#. I picked 40 because the pool math calculator suggests 30-50, so I figured I would target in the middle. Also, the Pool Math suggests FC of 1-3.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by TW Pool View Post
    Also, the Pool Math suggests FC of 1-3.
    You have to watch the CYA/FC Chart. The "Goal" at the top of Pool Math is based on the "Now" column, not the goal column. Once you put the CYA in the water assume it is there and chlorinate based on that. As you only put in half of what you need to get to 40, chlorinate based on 20.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Fantastic! Thanks Tim. I had not realized that. I'm going to get my FC up to 10+ to give it a little shock and pick up a bottle of clarifier to see if I want to use it later. I'll let the chlorine run for 24 hours first.