Dirt in pool after rainstorm

Jun 5, 2015
Schertz, TX
I live in the San Antonio area of Texas. We had some pretty big storms lately. Yesterday's even closed down part of I-35 (again).

Anyhow, there is one spot on the patio around my pool where the grass is the same level as the patio. With the drenching that happened a few weeks ago and this week, I end up with a cloudy pool because of dirt.

I threw in some bleach yesterday as the pool level just about evened out with the top of the patio surround and I could see the dirt from runoff going into the pool.

Test results this morning:
pH above 8.2
FC 17
CC .5
TA 80
CYA 200

I put in 2 cups, 2oz of Muriatic Acid this morning according to the Pool Math calculations.

I drained the pool so it is now at the correct level.

When this happened about 10 days ago, I just watched my test levels and cleaned my filter to make sure I was giving the pool the best chance it had. I just got back my sparkling clear water yesterday and then we had another deluge.

Is there something else I should be doing (besides landscaping which will happen soon)?:scratch:

Thanks.

Ann

Hello again neighbor! When you say you drained your pool and it's a the correct level, what did you mean? Was it CYA or just physical level? Because your CYA is through the roof, but honestly since the TF-100 only goes up to 100, how did you come-up with 200? Did you do a diluted test perhaps? In any case, if it's over a 100, that means partial drains to get it back to earth. Otherwise you have a hard time managing FC.

If you are positive your CYA is over a 100, I would suggest partial drains in stages until you get the CYA back to the 50s or so. That way your bleach can maintain a good balance with the FC versus CYA. Good luck!

you are going to have a hard time winning the battle with this pool with your CYA level so high.

also, with your FC so high, your pH reading isn't accurate. if your FC is over 10, the pH isn't testing correctly.

if you used the taylor or TF100, how did you get a CYA of 200?? if you did the 50/50 dilution method and got 100, well then that doesn't mean you are at 200. you need to do another dilution until you get a result under 100 and then multiply.

Fudge!

I got my lines cross when typing my test results. Try again:
8.2+ pH
17 FC
.05 CC
200 CH
80 TA
60 CYA

I drained the pool down to the correct level of water for the skimmer and not overflowing the edges of the pool!

Sorry for the confusion and thanks in advance for your thoughts on this again!

Ann

Bwaahaaha! Gotcha. All-n-all, other than getting that PH down, your numbers aren't too bad. But given the fact that your CC is at .5, you might consider doing an overnight test (OCLT) - just to make sure nothing is trying to bloom. You're maintaining a higher FC for now which is good based on what happened, but the OCLT won't hurt. Other than that, continue to sweep, vacuum, and clean your filter a little more than normal just to remove any remaking debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.