Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HOw much will rain effect chlorine level?

1. Back To Top    #1

HOw much will rain effect chlorine level?

I have a SWG- usually run it for 12 hours at 55-60% and it maintains chlorine between 3-5
    Lately I've been increasing it almost every day by 5%. UP to 85% now and still at 1-3 on chlorine.
    It's been raining a lot lately- I get that there is no chlorine in rain and it will dilute the pool water, but this seems excessive...
    My other guess is that I got the CYA up a little too high?

FC 2
    ph 7.8
    CH 250
    TA 70
    CYA 80
    Inground Pool Completed April 2015
    Salt Water Generator- Nature 2 Fusion Soft
    33,500 gallons, Gunite/White Plaster
    Cartridge Filtration
    Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HOw much will rain effect chlorine level?

Are you sure nothings growing in the pool somewhere and eating your chlorine up?

How does your water look?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The effect rain has on swimming pools is an urban myth that I hope we get disspelled some day.

It has virtually no effect.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The cl/cya chart suggests 4-6 ppm Cl with 80 cya, so maybe a quick slam will get you back on track? An OCLT might be in order? as you said maybe drain and fill a bit to get down to 70 CYA?
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd try to do an OCLT to see what's going on.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

With a CYA level of 80 and the FC down to 3 is a recipe for a SWG pool to develop nascent algae. You need to follow the Chlorine CYA Chart to avoid algae.

Like the others have already said, run an OCLT with an elevated chlorine level, I like to shoot for 10ppm for a first test. Make sure the SWG is off during the test.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks.
    Will run the test tonight.
    I still have a hard time getting my head around the CYA...
    If CYA is where it should be, does it require more chlorine to get it at recommended levels, but once it's there it takes longer to go back down?
    By looking at the charts, it seems that the higher the CYA, the more chlorine you need to add. But once you got it where it needs to be, is it more 'resistant' to the sun bringing it back down?
    Maybe I just need to boost the chlorine with a little bleach to get the levels up a bit?
    Cartridge Filtration
    Heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi jim, in doing the oclt test at 10ppm You will need liquid chlorine or bleach to get it that high anyway

P.s. Yes higher cya does require higher fc levels, and it does protect the chlorine from uv breakdown
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    The effect rain has on swimming pools is an urban myth that I hope we get disspelled some day.

It has virtually no effect.
    X 100 virtually none
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

based on FC of 2 with your CYA level, you probably have an algae outbreak. also, SWCG are great at keeping your FC levels consistent, but not good at trying to keep up with algae growth. they just don't produce enough chlorine, especially if the cell isn't way oversized.

You need to do the OCLT test, if you fail that, you need to SLAM. once you SLAM, and let your FC fall back to the correct level, you then set your SWCG to maintain the FC level. turn off your SWCG while SLAMing

and to answer original question about the rain. well it has the same exact affect as when you top off your pool with tap water. NONE. other than a small percentage reduction due to dilution. example i use is a pool with average depth of 4 feet, if you get 2 inches of rain, that's a 4% increase in volume, so your FC (and all levels) go down by 4%.. but once that evaporates off, its back to the same exact number.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

11. Back To Top    #11

thanks all
    Cartridge Filtration
    Heat Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    based on FC of 2 with your CYA level, you probably have an algae outbreak. also, SWCG are great at keeping your FC levels consistent, but not good at trying to keep up with algae growth. they just don't produce enough chlorine, especially if the cell isn't way oversized.
    Would you suggest "supplementing" in bleach here and there to keep the levels higher?
    Cartridge Filtration
    Heat Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    Would you suggest "supplementing" in bleach here and there to keep the levels higher?
    I don't. once you get your pool SLAMed, you don't have algae. its very easy to dial in the SWCG to keep a steady FC. only time I added liquid bleach is after having a lot of people in the pool. i bump it up, and SWCG keeps it there.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Exactly! I raised my CYA to 50 and although my FC levels have to be higher, I'm losing less during a 24 hour period thus having to add less bleach daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    Thanks.
    Will run the test tonight.
    I still have a hard time getting my head around the CYA...
    If CYA is where it should be, does it require more chlorine to get it at recommended levels, but once it's there it takes longer to go back down?
    By looking at the charts, it seems that the higher the CYA, the more chlorine you need to add. But once you got it where it needs to be, is it more 'resistant' to the sun bringing it back down?
    Maybe I just need to boost the chlorine with a little bleach to get the levels up a bit?
    Cornelius Monterey Steel/Resin AG 18' round (approx. 7600+gallons) Hayward veri-flo SWG w/sand filter.Testing w/ TK2006 using Speed stir.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    X 100 virtually none
    Try having a SWG pool located in the rainiest (by volume) city in the country Rain water will absolutely dilute the salt content.
    27k IG, vinyl, Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo Sand Filter (T-240BP-1), Pentair Sta-Rite N1-3/4AE 3/4 HP SuperMax, Built in 1997 (new to me in 2013), SWG (Hayward SwimPure Plus)

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
    Try having a SWG pool located in the rainiest (by volume) city in the country Rain water will absolutely dilute the salt content.
    dilution is different than what the myth that people believe that rain consumes up your chlorine. obviously if you are losing water to overflow and refilling with rain water you are going to dilute concentrations of everything.
    Dan