asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a two year old hairy golden retriever that I can't keep out of the pool when we're in it. Naturally, after a good afternoon of swimming, I can see her hair floating on the water's surface. This got me wondering how much of it reaches my sand filter and if it'll eventually become an issue with filtration. I haven't noticed an increase in the filter's pressure reading, which is making me question where is all that hair going? Looking for some insight from any others with a great dog who loves to with its family.

Thanks!

In regards to the filter- get yourself some skimmer socks (or old knee high stockings which my daughter swears to me no one wears anymore) and slip them around the inside of your skimmer basket. That'll catch the hair and keep it out of the filter.

I wish I could get my dog to get in the pool to cool down on occasion :(

My Labrador Retriever is always in the pool--whether anyone else is out there with her or not! When I cleaned my cartridge filter, I was mostly removing dog hair--and not much visible dirt of any other kind! This changed when I went to skimmer socks. I am quite likely to get a way with one filter cleaning per year now...at the expense of weekly skimmer-sock-cleanings.

This may not be the place for this, but I want to say that please, please, please train your dog where the exit steps are. From a dog's perspective, the pool's edge looks identical. I taught my dog the steps and when I put her in (she's a wire haired dachshund and only swims for therapy. I probably wouldn't want to swim for fun if my legs and arms were only two inches long either!) she immediately orients herself to the steps and will not swim in any other direction.

As far as wet dog smell, my dog has "hair" and not "fur" so I cannot offer any advice.

Our chocolate lab knows very well to stay out when we aren't in it. When we are in it's MUCH more difficult to keep her out. She will pace around the pool, even find her ball and toss it in herself as if looking for an excuse, lol. She is sometimes allowed, and sometimes just jumps in. If I run and jump in myself then there is never any stopping her and she'll hit the water as quick as myself.

Good point on the exit steps. Ours was a little lost the first time and had to guide her out but she knows where they are now. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BABY powder! A good towel dry with the dog only towels (they are the dark ones) then sprinkle the baby powder all over and brush in. I just use a person (but only used on him for this) hair brush to get it in. He smells so good!

Kim

Wish I had a swim buddy. Out of my 3 dogs none of them like the pool. When my Rottie was a youngster he did walk out on to the solar cover while I was under it swimming it out. My Bull Mastiff mix (R.I.P. Zeus, you got your wings!) used to stand at the edge of the deck and grab bees out of the air. Twice he reached too far and hit the drink. Not easy boosting a 120 pound thrashing dog out of the deep end!

I had to watch that cuteness a few times! Abby! You ARE a lab through and through!

Does she just jump from the ground into the pool or do you have something there for her to jump from?

I like how you have the wood on the top step for her to grab!

Kim

I've been worried about my liner as well, but lucky to have an inground and the steps are fiberglass. Only on her first time in did she try climbing out the side before being directed to the steps. Video is from when FIRST even allowing her in after saying "No" so often. She's not so hesitant now if someone is already in the pool. Not sure the link will work, is a Facebook video but I made it public and used Tinyurl for the link.

http://tinyurl.com/pbf7j5c

That was before I started on the deck. Abby learned really quickly how to climb the ladder from inside the pool, and knew right away it was a two way street. That video was taken after she had already been in the pool several times with me, so needed just that little coaxing to go in again. As the pool is an Intex, the sidewalls are fiber reinforced, and so far the dogs haven't ripped it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.