Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Own a Dog That Loves to Swim?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone Own a Dog That Loves to Swim?

I have a two year old hairy golden retriever that I can't keep out of the pool when we're in it. Naturally, after a good afternoon of swimming, I can see her hair floating on the water's surface. This got me wondering how much of it reaches my sand filter and if it'll eventually become an issue with filtration. I haven't noticed an increase in the filter's pressure reading, which is making me question where is all that hair going? Looking for some insight from any others with a great dog who loves to with its family.

Thanks!
    28k gallon in-ground pebbletec pool w/waterfall and grotto feature
    Triton II sand filter
    "The Pool Cleaner" 4-wheel vacuum
    1.5hp main pump; 1.5hp water feature pump
    Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone Own a Dog That Loves to Swim?

In regards to the filter- get yourself some skimmer socks (or old knee high stockings which my daughter swears to me no one wears anymore) and slip them around the inside of your skimmer basket. That'll catch the hair and keep it out of the filter.

I wish I could get my dog to get in the pool to cool down on occasion
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

we had a golden and we always had hair everywhere you need this Pet Shedding Tools : Amazon.com: FURminator Long Hair deShedding Tool for Dogs, Large

its called furminator and it will take more hair off then you can ever imagine, its expensive but its also amazing... use it once a week and you will see a huge difference
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

I strongly suggest skimmer socks. They will help tremendously with floating dog hair.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

+1 what Patrick said. Skimmer socks help with other stuff, too.

I would have to say, however, I don't think we have ever had a member who's filter was CLOGGED with dog hair.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

My Labrador Retriever is always in the pool--whether anyone else is out there with her or not! When I cleaned my cartridge filter, I was mostly removing dog hair--and not much visible dirt of any other kind! This changed when I went to skimmer socks. I am quite likely to get a way with one filter cleaning per year now...at the expense of weekly skimmer-sock-cleanings.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Between the two above suggestions you will be "golden" LOL

I have a mastiff/lab mix who LOVES to swim.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Now that we've solved this one....let's get on to the next important question: How does everyone with "swimmy dogs" deal with the constant smell of wet dog?
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

This may not be the place for this, but I want to say that please, please, please train your dog where the exit steps are. From a dog's perspective, the pool's edge looks identical. I taught my dog the steps and when I put her in (she's a wire haired dachshund and only swims for therapy. I probably wouldn't want to swim for fun if my legs and arms were only two inches long either!) she immediately orients herself to the steps and will not swim in any other direction.

As far as wet dog smell, my dog has "hair" and not "fur" so I cannot offer any advice.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

10. Back To Top    #10

Our chocolate lab knows very well to stay out when we aren't in it. When we are in it's MUCH more difficult to keep her out. She will pace around the pool, even find her ball and toss it in herself as if looking for an excuse, lol. She is sometimes allowed, and sometimes just jumps in. If I run and jump in myself then there is never any stopping her and she'll hit the water as quick as myself.

Good point on the exit steps. Ours was a little lost the first time and had to guide her out but she knows where they are now.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

LOL, awesome pic!!! One of my friends dogs dives to fetch. Toss a hockey puck in the pool and he'll dive down to get it. Craziest thing I ever saw.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

BABY powder! A good towel dry with the dog only towels (they are the dark ones) then sprinkle the baby powder all over and brush in. I just use a person (but only used on him for this) hair brush to get it in. He smells so good!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Just purchased some skimmer basket socks on Amazon, a 5 pack for 7.99 and wow they capture the finest particules. Appreciate the suggestions. This is such an awesome community.
    28k gallon in-ground pebbletec pool w/waterfall and grotto feature
    Triton II sand filter
    "The Pool Cleaner" 4-wheel vacuum
    1.5hp main pump; 1.5hp water feature pump
    Taylor K2006 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Wish I had a swim buddy. Out of my 3 dogs none of them like the pool. When my Rottie was a youngster he did walk out on to the solar cover while I was under it swimming it out. My Bull Mastiff mix (R.I.P. Zeus, you got your wings!) used to stand at the edge of the deck and grab bees out of the air. Twice he reached too far and hit the drink. Not easy boosting a 120 pound thrashing dog out of the deep end!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

16. Back To Top    #16

15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

17. Back To Top    #17

I had to watch that cuteness a few times! Abby! You ARE a lab through and through!

Does she just jump from the ground into the pool or do you have something there for her to jump from?

I like how you have the wood on the top step for her to grab!

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

Just a quick heads up .... i ended up with a hole in my liner on the step from my dog.

Now she is back to swimming in lakes and rivers.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

19. Back To Top    #19

I've been worried about my liner as well, but lucky to have an inground and the steps are fiberglass. Only on her first time in did she try climbing out the side before being directed to the steps. Video is from when FIRST even allowing her in after saying "No" so often. She's not so hesitant now if someone is already in the pool. Not sure the link will work, is a Facebook video but I made it public and used Tinyurl for the link.

http://tinyurl.com/pbf7j5c
    Scott

20. Back To Top    #20

That was before I started on the deck. Abby learned really quickly how to climb the ladder from inside the pool, and knew right away it was a two way street. That video was taken after she had already been in the pool several times with me, so needed just that little coaxing to go in again. As the pool is an Intex, the sidewalls are fiber reinforced, and so far the dogs haven't ripped it.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast