Hi from Concord, Ca

Jun 18, 2015
Concord, CA
We bought a house last year and was excited about the pool. I have been learning as much as possible from Pool stores and anyone who owns a pool. Received some good info but still not good enough to keep a well balanced clean water. My pump is a Jandy 1.5-2HP two speed. My immediate problem is I was told by the previous owner to run the pump only about 2-3 hours a day because she said it's expensive on your electricity bill. I have been throwing lots of shock and chemical just to keep it clean but it doesn't take long before it starts to show algae.

One of the first thing I did recently is program to run the pump on low speed for 16 hours. So far it's really helping to keep the water clear. I ran into this site as I'm considering changing my pump to a more efficient one that I can run 24/7. I'm glad to be part of this community! :)

Hey there from Georgia :)

My first bit of advice to advise you with is: STOP listening to anything Pool Stores say. They're in the business of selling chemicals...perhaps chemicals you don't need or are not appropriate for your needs. Tossing in shock and other chemicals without awareness of their side effects is a huge problem. Any solid or granular form of chlorine contains chlorine PLUS either calcium or CYA. CYA builds up and causes your pool to require higher levels of chlorine just to work. That's why we suggest using liquid chlorine (aka household bleach) when ever possible cause it doesn't contain anything else.

We're all about self testing here. We've found two (and only those two) test kits we trust <link in siggy line> and use them to help guide us in monitoring the water.

I can't comment too much about your pump but you want to save electricity and 16 hours is working for you, try 12 and see how that goes? If that works, try another lower amount until you find the spot where the water doesn't sparkle anymore.

Hey there Georgia! :wave: As already noted, definitely start by ordering the right test kit. The TF-100 is very popular because of its consent size and overall value. As yes, the pool stores will be happy to take your money and welcome you back every day to buy something else. Don't' do it!

Also understand that running a pump all day (or for the majority of it) does not affect your chemistry. If your water is cloudy of has algae, it needs to be balanced. The filter generally will not resolve your issue. That's another reason why you need to be in control with the right test kit (link below).

Please take a moment to review the links below in our sigs, and we hope you'll visit us often.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. Welcome!

Welcome to TFP!

If your pool water is cloudy and suffers bouts with algae, it is a function of inadequate chlorine for your CYA level - not pump run time. The [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] chart shows the level of chlorine you need to maintain for your pool's CYA level. This is one of the cornerstone principles of the TFP method. Understand this one relationship and you will eliminate the majority of your pool water problems.

mansanas68 said:
I have been throwing lots of shock and chemical just to keep it clean but it doesn't take long before it starts to show algae.
Randomly dumping this or that chemical into the water merely drains your wallet and does nothing for the pool. TFP is about adding only those chemicals (in the proper dose) that are needed to properly maintain your pool. I primarily use only two chemicals - plain unscented liquid bleach w/o added thickeners and muriatic acid. I also run my pump for only 30-40 minutes on a typical day - more after storms or pool parties.

To follow our methods and free yourself from the pool store, you will need one of the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Recommended Pool Chemicals
3. Recommended Levels
4. Pool Math

I'll add in a bonus article: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time. You can follow this process once your pool is cleared of algae.

Hello there neighbor! I am in Florida! Loving this pool weather for sure!

Getting your own test kit will save you SO much money and time it is not even funny!

With a good test kit you will not have to run your pump as long because your water will be "well fed" each day keeping the yuckies out!

Let us know when you get your test kit. We can walk you through the tests.

Kim