could've gotten water in the pool saturday. very disappointed that we failed the 2d inspection today. everything passed accept one of the gates to the yard from the street did not latch consistently when shut from different distances. the second reason was that the gate/fence guy and I were putting up posts and looking at where the gates will go and he asked "what are you doing here." when i proudly said we were planning for a fence, thinking he'd be glad we were going to have a secondary barrier, non-mandatory, and pass us, he failed us until the fence will be in place and bonded since it's less than 5 feet from water's edge. we asked him if we can set the posts and bond them and he said the entire gate needs to be in place. this is a custom fence, handcrafted from rebar and steel, and the fence guy said he could probably have it ready by the 26th, a friday. then he goes out of state the following monday. then we'd pebble and be in the pool in july. if something happened and he couldn't get it done on time or if it failed we'd be looking at mid-July. My husband and i are anxious to get water into the pool so that noone falls in it and cracks their head on shotcrete. however, we want to make sure things are safe. the pool company and the fence guy both suggested we tell the city that we decided not to get a fence. the gate will be fixed in the morning and the city has been rescheduled to come out tomorrow. according to the pb, a fence is not something that we have to permit or have checked out. it just happened to go that way since the inspector was there. they suggest we install the gate after the city passes us tomorrow. we went with that but my husband is worried that we should have the fence inspected so it doesn't fall down on anyone (I'm not too worried about that. we live by the mountain and the guy's work seems really good for strength. will be cemented). i was thinking of just having an electrician friend come look at it to see if it was properly bonded or get it checked later. it sounds like an easy job, so it seems as though we could check it ourselves. pb left us 3 areas of copper that are attached to the pool's bonding wire and we have to connect it with a bonding clamp onto the fence from how i understand it. we will have 3 gates in the fence, which is why we'd be bonding different areas. when the gates r open there would not be any connection with the next fence section. seems like common sense.
i'm sure the inspector will be leary of our change of plans to not get a fence. could this bite us later? can the city come by and do a surprise inspection at any given date or something like that? could the pb be wrong about not needing a permit and it'll cost us more $ and headache later if they come back when we do our kitchen and we never got this approved? what would u do? inspector will prob come out at noon tomorrow so might be too late to go back on this anyway unless i decide i want to ask him if we need to get it permitted/inspected later when we put in a fence. thx!