Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teflon Tape on Pool Sweep Fitting Threads?

1. Back To Top    #1

Teflon Tape on Pool Sweep Fitting Threads?

I'm new to pools, so I don't know what the recommended procedures are with regards to PVC pipe fittings. I am about to reconnect my repaired pool sweep to the pressure port on the side of the pool, and was wondering if I should be using Teflon tape on the threads.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Teflon Tape on Pool Sweep Fitting Threads?

No, I wouldn't. Don't you ever remove the pool sweep from the return? I take mine out all the time such as during parties or when I want to hook a fountain up.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

It's actually has a quick disconnect that is screwed into the port on the side of the pool, and then the pool sweep connects to the quick disconnect.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think it makes any difference. The teflon tape is used to make a water proof seal. So what if your joint leaks. It's in water - so it won't matter. And if the leak is so huge that it matters - then I doubt any amount of teflon tape would make a difference.
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!
    Michael