Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teflon Tape on Pool Sweep Fitting Threads?

1. Back To Top    #1

Teflon Tape on Pool Sweep Fitting Threads?

I'm new to pools, so I don't know what the recommended procedures are with regards to PVC pipe fittings. I am about to reconnect my repaired pool sweep to the pressure port on the side of the pool, and was wondering if I should be using Teflon tape on the threads.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Teflon Tape on Pool Sweep Fitting Threads?

No, I wouldn't. Don't you ever remove the pool sweep from the return? I take mine out all the time such as during parties or when I want to hook a fountain up.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

It's actually has a quick disconnect that is screwed into the port on the side of the pool, and then the pool sweep connects to the quick disconnect.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think it makes any difference. The teflon tape is used to make a water proof seal. So what if your joint leaks. It's in water - so it won't matter. And if the leak is so huge that it matters - then I doubt any amount of teflon tape would make a difference.
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!
    Michael