Welcome to TFP!

Here's a quick summary:
Advantages
  1. Provide maximum energy savings
  2. Provide ultimate flexibility to run multiple water features as needed
  3. Quiet, especially when running on lower speeds
Disadvantages
  1. More costly than 2-speed pumps
  2. Contain electronic controls which are more subject to surges that could fry the control board. This can be mitigated by adding a surge suppressor, but this adds to the cost of the pump.
  3. More complex and a bit less reliable than 2-speed pumps
The primary factors in making the decision to go with variable-speed vs 2-speed pumps usually boils down to electric rates and the number of water features your pool has. From an electric rate & cost-benefit standpoint, the tipping point between 2-speed and variable-speed is $0.20 per kWh. At rates greater than $0.20 per kWh, the variable-speed pump will pay for itself sooner through greater energy savings.

BTW, we suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.
Here's how to do this: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Here are a few additional resources that may provide some of the answers you are looking for:
Pool School - Pump Basics
Pool School - Troubleshooting your Pump/Filter
Pool School - Routine Pump/Filter Maintenance

How about putting your pool info in your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started

I love my VS pump. Have speeds dialed in for different functions. 1100 rpm for skimming and making chlorine with SWG at only 150 watts. Run solar panels at 1950 rpm and 550 watts. Other speeds for other things, also runs the waterfall. Good stuff, I would buy another without hesitation.

Pentair makes a 3hp and 1.5hp VS pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.