Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Depth Question - Need Fast Advice - 16x33 - If It Were You?????

1. Back To Top    #1

POLL: Depth Question - Need Fast Advice - 16x33 - If It Were You?????

I know much has been written on this topic by doing some TF searches. That said, we're still on the fence and need some advice. We are planning a 16x33 kidney pool. (We cannot go wider or longer due to some restrictions).

If it were you, would you go with a 7 or 8 foot depth? If we go with an 8 foot depth, it really only gives us a 8ft radius in the shallow end and we're concerned about that.

Some considerations:
    • We're not a "diving" family. There will be no diving board.
    • We do have a 10 yr. old. There will be kids over.
    • When we stay at hotels with pools, we all tend to hang out in the shallow end.

We don't really play sports in the pool but might consider a basketball hoop - as we loved that at a resort we visited. Some people say - you need a deep end. Others say you don't. We have no idea.
    21 Foot AGP, 56" Height, Namco, Hayward 200k BTU, Gas Heater, Dolphin Robot, Clearway Cartridge and Hi Flo II Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: POLL: Depth Question - Need Fast Advice - 16x33 - If It Were You?????

I went with 7.5 foot deep and I can say I wish we went with 8.5. We have a jump rock and I get nervous with kids being kids and diving even though we say "NO DIVING".....

7.5 technically is deep enough to dive off a small rock/platform but we don't allow it and it makes me very very nervous......
    Gunite 35X15 rectangle w/15X5 tan ledge (giving it an "L" shape) and 6X2 swim out love seat; white marblelite plaster; depth: 3'6-7'6; 24,750 gallons; SWG (Mineral Springs); Pentair C&C 420 w/ VS 3050 pump; 400K Natural Gas heater; coping: 12" PA Full Range Flagstone; 2 Color Change LED Lights; jump rock; 2' exposed backside wall; 700 square feet exposed aggregate decking

3. Back To Top    #3

We love love love our 4x5x4 play pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

We too have 7.5ft with jumping rocks. I can easily hit my bum on the bottom when I do a cannonball. Wish it were 9ft but, like you, we have lot size restrictions so the pool was built the way it is. If you like sports, then you might consider a shallower depth like what's found in sport pools. But then you definitely have to enforce the no-jumping policy.

Good luck, hope the pool build goes smoothly.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

With kids using the pool, I'd say go at least 8ft. You can certainly tell them no diving, but did we always do what we were told when we were kids? I know I didn't....
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

6. Back To Top    #6

We thought of going with a deeper pool (8 or 9 ft) in a 35 X 16 rectangle. But, after talking to friends, we decided on a 3 to 5 ft pool. Like you, we do not dive and always have seen groups of folk congregate on the shallow end. at 35 ft it will be OK for kids to do laps, but they don't have to try to keep afloat at the deep end and tire. If they want to dive, maybe we will head out to our friend's 10' deep pool
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

From what you mention, it sounds like the play/sports pool would be the way to go. I'm wondering why you are considering 7' or 8' if your family isn't into diving. If I'm missing something, and you want one or the other, then I would definitely go with 7'. But only if you've decided you need a deep end.

Are you considering a deep end because others say you should have a deep end? I've read too many threads on pool forums from people who love their more shallow pools or sports/play pools. Also, consider the heights or possible future heights of your family members. You need to do what's right for you guys!

Our pool is 4' to 7'. I will use the pool for lounging and physical therapy exercises. All I needed was a 6' depth somewhere, so I could comfortably tread water. My sons (adults - one lives at home) wanted a 4' shallow end to do flip turns while swimming laps. They both wanted 7' for shallow diving for laps. We don't play sports, but if it weren't for the boys wanting a deep end, I would have been good with a 4-6-4.5 pool - or something similar. I'm about 5'7" and both my boys are over 6'.

It would be so much easier for you if we would just tell you what to do, but we can't. Every family has different needs. Good luck and take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Go 8 feet to protect careless kids, especially teenagers.

At 8 foot, most bodies have slowed enough that impacts between teenagers is minimal. Might dislodge an ear bud, but that's about it.

Be safe, go deep.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

9. Back To Top    #9

You can jump into 7.5 no problem, but obviously no diving.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    From what you mention, it sounds like the play/sports pool would be the way to go. I'm wondering why you are considering 7' or 8' if your family isn't into diving. If I'm missing something, and you want one or the other, then I would definitely go with 7'. But only if you've decided you need a deep end.
    I would answer this by saying "Because it feeeeeels good to be sitting on a pool noodle or in a tube letting your legs drop down straight below you and hang out floating if I'm not diving or swimming. Deeper is better in my book"
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

I like the 8 foot depth. Have you considered solving the dilemma in a different way. Any chance you can pay to upgrade your pool walls so that the shallow end is 4 feet deep and not 3 foot deep. This would allow the deep end, and give you a bigger shallow end. This would also work with going with a 3.5 foot shallow end. Of the two, as I am typing, I would prefer the 3.5 depth over 4 foot depth, because in the pool, I am either treading water, floating on a noodle, or sitting in the shallow end. 4 foot might be too deep to just sit in, although I am sure I could make it work.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

We don't dive, either, and worried about "losing" or "wasting" space in a deep end. We went with 3.5-4-6' bc we also always seem to stay in the shallow end of any pool. However, we do not have young children. We do have a teenager and expect there to be some teenagers here. We thought in the long term - getting the most use out of most of the pool.

I would seriously ask myself things like, What will we mainly use the pool for? Who will mainly be in it? How will that change over the long term? And then get out a tape measure and measure different depths against yourself/husband. (That's what we did - no one wants to get in a pool that hits you & stops at crotch level.) We planned our pool for mainly adult use - floats and drinks in hand while some tunes play. Depth is subjective and different for every family.

13. Back To Top    #13

We went with 3'6" - 5' - 4'6" for about the same reason as you. It's built but no water yet. So close!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

14. Back To Top    #14

Your pool build looks amazing. Thanks for sharing all of the photos. Cool to see.

I know the depth question is subjective but for everyone that says go with a shallow pool as you don't dive, there's another person who says go with an 8ft. deep end as you have a 10 yr. old with friends. Another person with a sport pool says that they have trouble always warning kids not to dive and they are nervous wrecks. All this said, I'm really grateful for this site and to everyone for sharing their opinion (and so quickly), it does help to get different opinions from people that have or are building pools. We will have a deep end bench on the inside part of the kidney- so at least if we go in that direction, there's that.
    21 Foot AGP, 56" Height, Namco, Hayward 200k BTU, Gas Heater, Dolphin Robot, Clearway Cartridge and Hi Flo II Pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

What really sold me, was thinking about what "we" do when we are in a pool. We never dive. Hubby might cannonball. We typically float & hangout around the edge. So I knew I wanted mostly 5' & under. But when I realized how much space it takes to go 8' I just felt like it was wasted space. Good luck with your decision & let us know what you decide!!!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

16. Back To Top    #16

Well to me it sounds like you answered your own question. I would do a play pool
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

17. Back To Top    #17

Yep, no need for a deep end unless you want a diving pool. Not from a practical standpoint.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks all! PB keeps saying that a play pool "sounds great" and you say that your 10 yr. old doesn't dive now but they will want to dive later as will all of the kids that come over. Good advice has been shared here. We have to think about long term use of pool but a big reason is for our child too. That is the conundrum. Will definitely share the decision and build photos. We are the signing the P&S agreement stage now.

19. Back To Top    #19

I will offer one other idea why i like having a deep end. While I dont dive in the Olympic since, trying to do fancy twists and flips, etc. I do prefer to enter the pool by just diving flat into the deep end and swimming across the pool. I think that is much better than just walking into the pool off of the stairs. I also think that the idea of diving flat and trying to go underwater across the pool is appealing to people who dont think of themselves as divers.

But as I said in another post, there is no wrong decision. Both styles have pros and cons. Decide, and don't let your self regret that decision. Your family will love your pool and adapt to its strengths no matter what. No one is going to say "This pool is stupid, you picked the wrong floor style for the pool". When I built my pool, I struggled with some options and whether to get them or not. The things that I ended up not buying, not once have I ever hated my pool because those things were missing.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Our pool is 5 1/2' deepest end and wish it was a couple feet deeper... I like to jump in often
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast