Do the pool experts here ever swim in a public/hotel/resort pool/spa

Jun 17, 2015
Georgia
After learning so much here in the past two days it makes me wonder if public pools and hotel pools are maintained as meticulously as they should be. It may make me think twice before
jumping in when I smell all the chlorine in the future. Do you or would you swim in hotel pools? (Maybe sneaking your test kit with you, haha!)

I do when my kids are with so I can enjoy the time with them but a few times I've not even let my kids swim in a hotel pool because I knew it wasn't safe just looking at/smelling the pool. I never do when traveling alone. Haven't met a pool on a work trip that looked appealing compared to mine.

I'm full-on pool snob now.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

In my job i deal with public/hotel pool managers a lot. The level of knowledge and attention to detail most of them show is enough to keep me out of any pool that i dont personally know. I also have been known to take a test kit with my on my travels.

This should be a fun topic to watch. It does come up every once and a while. I can say that I only do if my kids feel they want to swim. My son is the worst now. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. His saying is "I can't see the hairs on my big toe like at home." A few I would not let an enemy swim in. Most hotels don't have the time to spend with the pools. Also public pools have different standards to follow. The standards are based off EPA drinking reports with no CYA and a max of 3ppm of chlorine. The best sign I have seen at a hotel was their pool was salt water and chlorine free. The combined chlorine smell would knock you over and it was an outdoor pool.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

My one son was at a water park, the other at a camp pool. Both of their swimming trunks reek of chlorine. Like from 5 feet away. Makes me cringe! It's even hard for me to let them swim next door, at their uncle's house, because I knows he has know clue how to take care of her pool correctly. She either has not enough, or way too much chlorine. I tried to talk her into this method, a little at a time, but she won't listen to me. That's okay, I'll enjoy our nice, clear pool, when hers is green! (It was last year.)

So far I can list 2 places where I have swam and would again, the original location for Schlitterbahn Water Park in Texas, it is on a spring fed river and the water for the park makes one pass through then back in the river. Also Atlantis resort in the Bahamas, I was there on a business trip about 3 years ago and was very impressed with their water, of course given all the aquariums they maintain along with the sea mammal interaction pools you would suspect that they may have a higher than normal sense of maintaining water quality.

I'm ashamed to admit the last public pool I sat in was <shiver> a kiddie pool down at Shades of Green, the military resort at Disney. I cringe thinking of the diapers in the water.
I have naive false hope that since the DOD is involved that the standards are kept up well. At least that's what I'm telling myself, y'know? <cringe>

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.