Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How are my numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

How are my numbers

I received my TF100 kit today, so excited to become a pool genius!

Here are my numbers

FC 9
    CC .5-1 I initially used 1 drop and seemed to be clear but after a few seconds turned a little pink so used a second drop that is why I said between .5 and 1
    TA 170
    CYA 55
    CH 300

Let me know if I need anything else.

Thanks
    21K Gallon, IG Vinyl, Hayward 1HP Superpump, Hayward 425 sq ft Cartridge Filter C4030 (flow rate 150GPM), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG, Hayward 250K Gas Heater
    Completed Oct 2013 in Vancouver, BC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How are my numbers

pH is critical. You don't need to use the yellow OTO TC test on the other side, but do test pH.

You can raise CYA and probably reduce pump and/or SWG on-time as well. Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard, I forgot to post my PH is around 7.8

I'm sure I will get better with time but it looks closer to the 7.8 than the 7.5 to me
    21K Gallon, IG Vinyl, Hayward 1HP Superpump, Hayward 425 sq ft Cartridge Filter C4030 (flow rate 150GPM), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG, Hayward 250K Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Queenbee View Post
    Thanks Richard, I forgot to post my PH is around 7.8

I'm sure I will get better with time but it looks closer to the 7.8 than the 7.5 to me
    In that case, target 7.2 pH in poolmath and add some acid. That will help lower the TA, too. If you don't have acid on hand, don't panic. It can wait until tomorrow. 7.8 is still acceptable pH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Again Richard,

In pool School it says that for a SWG that the PH should be 7.5-7.6 and not any lower. Is this still correct?

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Again Richard,

In pool School it says that for a SWG that the PH should be 7.5-7.6 and not any lower. Is this still correct?
    Yes, it is correct after you lower the TA. You'll start to notice the pH will take longer and longer to rise and take less and less acid to lower. When it settles down and TA is in range, then you can let pH sit higher.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Yes, it is correct after you lower the TA. You'll start to notice the pH will take longer and longer to rise and take less and less acid to lower. When it settles down and TA is in range, then you can let pH sit higher.
    So as my PH rises should I continue to bring it back down to 7.2 until my TA is in line?

8. Back To Top    #8

So as my PH rises should I continue to bring it back down to 7.2 until my TA is in line?
    Yes. And then you can follow the pool school recommendations for levels. You'll know when you're close because the pH rise will slow down quite a bit.