Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph not raising with Borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph not raising with Borax

Having a wierd deal with my Ph. It keeps reading 7.4 and the calculator says 39 ounces of Borax. Two days later, I'm back to 7.4? My TA is 70. FC is 10. CYA is 45. What am I missing?
    22K IG Vinyl, Sand, Hayward Ecostar w spillover spa & Haward Navigator
    Screened enclosure w Southwest exposure

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Ph not raising with Borax

May I ask why you are trying to raise your pH? That seems like a very reasonable pH.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

With a spillover spa, pH should be rising.

Either there's a source of acid - trichlor pucks - or you have an autofill that leaks and low pH fill water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I did add pucks in an effort to raise my CYA. It was down around the 30 level, and with summer upon us I full swing in Florida, I figured I needed the CYA a little higher to keep the chlorine working at an optimum level. So is that what's keeping my Ph Low? Also, is 7.4 acceptable?
    22K IG Vinyl, Sand, Hayward Ecostar w spillover spa & Haward Navigator
    Screened enclosure w Southwest exposure

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Floridajetsfan View Post
    I did add pucks in an effort to raise my CYA. It was down around the 30 level, and with summer upon us I full swing in Florida, I figured I needed the CYA a little higher to keep the chlorine working at an optimum level. So is that what's keeping my Ph Low? Also, is 7.4 acceptable?
    7.4 is certainly between 7.2 and 7.8, so it's fine.

Every pound of trichlor - 2 pucks - will raise FC by 5, raise CYA by 3, and lower pH by .27 in a pool your size. It will also lower the TA some.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!