Intex sand filter

Jun 17, 2015
norwich
Hi guys. New to this forum although have been reading through over past week. Was wondering if you guys could help. Just brought my self a second hand intex sand filter. Have set up everything as from video on YouTube but for some reason my pressure gauge does not move when Filtering! However before I get to filter mode when doing rinse mode my gauge moves to just below the yellow mark. When on filter mode there is hardly any ripples in the water?
Many thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean backwards? The shorter hose is connected from pump to filter. Longer hose from lower outlet part of pool to pump, and the Middle length hose from filter to highest outlet on pool. Is that correct?

Sounds right. What happens when you turn it to backwash? Be sure to take the cap off the waste port.

When I turn it to backwash with the cap off water will come out of the waste pipe. everything does seem to work well other then the filter side of it? Where the water first comes into the pump in the filter housing is the water suppose to be right to the top of the leaf trap cover?

It may have a little air in it at first, but it will eventually clear out. It sounds like your pump is not priming. How long have you let it run? Can you bleed the air out of the hoses and the leaf strainer?

When you have it turned to backwash, does the water come out much faster with the pump running than it does when it is off?

20 minutes max I probably left it running? Should I leave it longer? Thought it should have pressure straight away, as it does when rinsing! When you say bleed air out of hoses do you mean via the sediment release valve? Don't think I tried backwash with pump off.

........ Don't think I tried backwash with pump off.
The pump should be OFF when changing from Filter to Backwash, or anytime you move that multi-port valve.

If if you disconnect the sand filter (remove the short hose) and attach the return hose directly to the pump do you get a good return flow?

Dom

Sorry think I got wrong end of stick! Pump is always of when I change between controls. I thought he ment leave cap off when backwashing with pump off...

When I finish work I'll give putting the pipes on the pump avoiding sand filter ago and let you know what happens.

If your pump has a recirculate setting, and I believe it does, try that too.

To bleed the air out of the hoses, turn the pump off. Then lift the hoses up starting at the pump and work towards the pool so that any air trapped in them can escape back into the pool. You'll hear or see it bubbling back thru the intake/return. To release air trapped in the leaf strainer, loosen the clear cover on top just enough to let the air seep out. It's okay if there's a little left, but the port on the side that goes to the pump should be completely submerged. Get out as much air as you can.

Then turn the pump back on, set to filter. It should only take a minute or so for any remaining air in the filter to be forced out, and water should start coming out your return forcefully. If not, I suspect you may have a bad multiport valve. domct203's idea of bypassing the filter will confirm that, if you're getting water with the filter bypassed.

Let us know. BTW, which model pump is this? There should be a placard on it somewhere that shows the model number or the gph.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And I know this is a stupid question, but sometimes the obvious things get overlooked. You don't have a plunger valve at the return that's closed, do you?

Where the water first comes into the pump in the filter housing is the water suppose to be right to the top of the leaf trap cover?

Yes, pre-pump strainer basket should be full of water. On my first pool I had in Intex Krystal Clear sand filter setup, the one with the blue pump housing and multiport handle. I always had fits getting the pump primed after cleaning the strainer basket. Once primed the thing worked like a champ, but it was a fight getting there.

Right. Firstly thanks for all the help. Since I returned home from work I did what domct203 said and avoided the filter. Hooray I see my water moving!
Next step I did what Jeffchap had said. Moved my pipes to about to remove trapped air. I then turned it on to filter and turn pump on. Now my pressure gauge moved of the needle but not much and I now have water moving. Not fast but better than what it was! I left it running for two hours. Pressure had not gone up but water was still moving!
So do you think it is the muiltpoint valve or do you think it's like what Scottch has just said that he always had trouble priming his pump with blue handle! Yep think mine is the same one! Model number is SF15220.
By the way loving this forum!

If you bypassed the filter and got good water flow I don't think it's a priming issue.

Did you try the recirculate setting as suggested by jeffchap? That setting will bypass the sandfilter so we can isolate the multiport valve.

Did you have to put in sand or did the filter come with sand already in it?

Dom

Just recirculate long enough to see if you get more flow than you do with it set to Filter.

My next question was going to be about the sand too. I think I'd dump it and refill from scratch.

Will try changing sand in morning and check recirculating.
I was ment to say I still seem never to have loads of water in the filter housing. When I backwash it there is plenty in it and the pressure always seems to go up to 5 or 6 psi.

Is the clear cover on the leaf basket screwed on tightly? It almost sounds like you have a suction side air leak there. When my pump has been running a few hours, I only have a small bubble, if any air at all in mine.

Here's mine running:
temporary_zpsv9i9gwlj.jpg

Right. Changed the sand to day and gave everything a good clean. Reinstalled everything like I was starting from scratch! Slight improvement, my psi has moved too about 2. Not great but better. My lid to my leaf basket is on tightly but still the water is only high in it for a little while so I think you might be right with a suction leak!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.