Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble keeping pH down

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble keeping pH down

Hello all. I have a 15,000 gallon gunite pool with a Intellichlor SWG IC40.....I run the pump about 5 hours a day. I have my ouput set around 25%....salt level reads 3000. CYA is about 50. FC is 1.6-2. TA is 110. I keep adding muriatic acid to my pool but the pH still comes back up....i have a spill over spa and a waterfall. the waterfall runs for 15 mins a day when we are not using it. Any ideas.....any ideas about what my % output on my SWG should be? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trouble keeping pH down

Your pH will rise with the high TA and with the SWG running.

You haven't specified the pH you're rising to nor targeting. If pH is 8 and you're targeting 7.8, it will take months to work the TA down. You should target 7.2 pH and run that waterfall full blast all day to drive pH back up in a hurry and then repeat it again and again until TA gets down to around 70. Also raise your CYA and then fine tune the SWG percentage.

The pertinent articles are
    Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Your pH will rise with the high TA and with the SWG running.

You haven't specified the pH you're rising to nor targeting. If pH is 8 and you're targeting 7.8, it will take months to work the TA down. You should target 7.2 pH and run that waterfall full blast all day to drive pH back up in a hurry and then repeat it again and again until TA gets down to around 70. Also raise your CYA and then fine tune the SWG percentage.

The pertinent articles are
    Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

good point....when i test my pH its 8....i guess im targeting 7.6 according to the calculator. what cya should i target? so basically I should keep on adding acid to lower the pH and eventually with the continuous rise and fall of the pH the TA will go down?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
    good point....when i test my pH its 8....i guess im targeting 7.6 according to the calculator. what cya should i target? so basically I should keep on adding acid to lower the pH and eventually with the continuous rise and fall of the pH the TA will go down?
    Fora SWG pool, CYA is 70-80

Lowering TA goes along with lowering pH. It's like a ratchet and a bolt. You push down (acid) and then you lift the ratchet (aerate). The ratchet is the pH, it comes back up. The TA is the bolt. It stays down. Target 7.2. The lower the pH, the faster the outgassing, the faster the whole process.

When the TA is down, just try to set your parameters to the ones recommended in Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Fora SWG pool, CYA is 70-80

Lowering TA goes along with lowering pH. It's like a ratchet and a bolt. You push down (acid) and then you lift the ratchet (aerate). The ratchet is the pH, it comes back up. The TA is the bolt. It stays down. Target 7.2. The lower the pH, the faster the outgassing, the faster the whole process.

When the TA is down, just try to set your parameters to the ones recommended in Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    Thank you Richard for your help...your analogy was perfect for me to understand...very helpful...thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

This link should be helpful, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process