Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWG-how long until it works?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG-how long until it works?

Does the saltwater generator take several days to start keeping our chlorine levels stable? I ran it for the recommended amount of hours (3) yesterday, and another 3 hours today, but my chlorine levels are down to 2 again. Also...my CC was at .25 today. Is that bad?!

Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG-how long until it works?

Can you post a full set of test results?

You should always supplement with bleach if the FC is dropping too low.

No test measures CC in 0.25ppm increments, so not sure where that came from.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Until your SWG can maintain the level required, simply continue to augment your FC with liquid bleach. In the meantime, here are a couple links that discussed the SWG start-up time:
    SWG setting-first time
    Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

If you still need additional assistance after reviewing these previous discussions, please let us know so we can get you additional help. Thanks.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Either run the SWG longer or bump up the % of output. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to have a few jugs of liquid around.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If you started the pool on bleach, it should have been a fairly seamless transition. If you're starting from zero, I suspect it will take days. And if you haven't added stabilizer (CYA) it might never be able to keep up with the demand.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess maybe I did it wrong then? The TF-100 test said to check for CC to add 5 drops of R-0003 to the clear solution and if it returns pink to add back R-0871 as before and then x that number by .5 again. It turned back to pink after one drop. 1x.5= .25 right?

Here are my full test results from today:

FC- 2
    TA- 160 I was told to give this some time as we are just getting our pool set up
    PH- 7.5
    CC- .25
    CYA- 20 (I added more today)

Which brings me to another question:
    Should I be testing all of these on a daily basis or just the FC levels?

Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners

7. Back To Top    #7

Richard320- I have been adding bleach daily from the beginning. Just started the SWG yesterday

First Year Pool Owners

8. Back To Top    #8

1 x 0.5 = 0.5

You need to test the FC and maybe pH daily. The rest not as often.
    Definitely need a lot more CYA for the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm an idiot lol!! I was just going through the numbers on my calculator and not even thinking about what I was typing in! I probably hit the equals button twice when it didn't change!!
    Should I check the CYA daily until I get it right or give it time?

First Year Pool Owners

10. Back To Top    #10

The CYA takes up to a week to dissolve and show up on the test. Just assume you are at whatever your target was when you added more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Liviesmommy View Post
    I guess maybe I did it wrong then? The TF-100 test said to check for CC to add 5 drops of R-0003 to the clear solution and if it returns pink to add back R-0871 as before and then x that number by .5 again. It turned back to pink after one drop. 1x.5= .25 right?

Here are my full test results from today:

FC- 2
    TA- 160 I was told to give this some time as we are just getting our pool set up
    PH- 7.5
    CC- .25
    CYA- 20 (I added more today)

Which brings me to another question:
    Should I be testing all of these on a daily basis or just the FC levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CYA needs to be tested a week after you add any. Then maybe monthly. It shouldn't shift much unless you lose a huge amount to splashout or torrential rains causing overflowing.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule has the recommended schedule.

But feel free to test everything as often as you wish, until you get a feel for things. After a week of seeing how things progress, you'll be guessing the readings with amazing accuracy before drop one leaves the bottle. It's like having your first baby. It's okay to be nervous and overly protective.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

lol! Okay! So, should I take out the sock of CYA I just put in since I I already added it a few days ago?

First Year Pool Owners

13. Back To Top    #13

Depends no how much you have added.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Liviesmommy View Post
    lol! Okay! So, should I take out the sock of CYA I just put in since I I already added it a few days ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How long ago did you add the first CYA, and what did you target?

CYA can take up to a week to register completely on the test. The rule of thumb is to assume that what you added is all there until proven otherwise. So... if you added enough to get to 70 and it's only been two days, yes, get the second batch out. You don't want to overshoot and have to drain.

15. Back To Top    #15

I believe we added a little over a pound in the beginning and I just added 2 more pounds to the sock today

First Year Pool Owners

16. Back To Top    #16

3 lbs of CYA granules will get you to 60ish. So leave the sock in there and retest it in a week.

17. Back To Top    #17

Okay thank you! This site has been so amazing!

First Year Pool Owners

18. Back To Top    #18

I don't see on our SWG where we can change the percentage. I can increase the amount of hours it runs....
    I only have test strips to test the salt content...are these sufficient?

Also- I'm having a hard time understanding what boost mode is? The directions say it increases the copper ions? I didn't realize that was something I had to check. I guess I need different test strips for that?

First Year Pool Owners

19. Back To Top    #19

- You have to control the SWG output by adjusting the amount of time the pump and SWG run.
    - Forget about boost mode ... add bleach if you need to bump the FC level
    - Sometimes the salt strips work, other times they go bad.
    - Yikes, you should disconnect the wires from the copper bars .. you do not want copper in the pool. Search the forum for more info
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Do you have an Intex SWG? If it's like mine, don't worry about boost mode. If you need to increase FC or SLAM, add bleach.
    Intex Ultra Frame 20'x52" pool (10,600 gallons); Sand filter (Model SF80110); Krystal Clear SWG (Model CS8110); AquaBot PoolRover Jr. Pool Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit with SpeedStir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast