Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: percentages in Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

percentages in Bleach

I was looking at some different brands of bleach today while I was out, trying to get a feel for the best bang for my buck.
    I noticed that most bottles do not list the percentages on the bottle anywhere. Is there a list here with the numbers, or another way I can find out?
    16ft x 48in Intex Ultra frame Pool
    1500 GPH krystal clear pump

Located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: percentages in Bleach

Unless it's on the bottle assume it is lower than 6. Usually 6 and above have it listed.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Like what was said. Most will be listed. If not then it's most likely not a good deal. I take it this was off brand or house brand. What was the name and I'll look it up. If you find 8.25% in the 121 oz, just move the decimal in the price over one to the left. That's the price per oz you are paying per active oz.

17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

4. Back To Top    #4

Almost all brands I checked out had no info listed, even the Clorox concentrated

5. Back To Top    #5

I just looked at my generic "Bravo" bleach to confirm, and as I thought, it shows 8.25% (very small) under "Active Ingredients" on the label.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I am not sure what brands there are here, I'm in Canada.
    I will keep looking around though. I know Canadian tire sells Purox which is 10.8% and it states that it's chlorine, so maybe that is as close as I will get

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cancousins View Post
    I am not sure what brands there are here, I'm in Canada.
    I will keep looking around though. I know Canadian tire sells Purox which is 10.8% and it states that it's chlorine, so maybe that is as close as I will get
    Funny, as soon as I read as far as Canada thought Canadian Tire. You can get anything there.....

10.8% is good, depending on the price and age.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

The 10.8% Purox is $4.99-5.99, I don't know if that's good or not, this is my first pool

If I can't get bleach that strong and have to use Purox (which is chlorine) would granulated or liquid chlorine be cheaper?

9. Back To Top    #9

You can use a chlorine cost calculator to compare prices, but stay away form solids. Remember all of them bring something to the party your pool may not need (stabilizer or calcium)

10. Back To Top    #10

My hubby was just saying that he believes we don't have 8.25 bleach here in Canada, anything that high here is labelled Chlorine in stores

11. Back To Top    #11

Almost all brands I checked out had no info listed, even the Clorox concentrated
    Clorox concentrated does not list the percentage on their SCENTED bleaches, but they do on the unscented regular concentrated (not splash-less or outdoor) bleach. In addition to the percentage of sodium hypochlorite in the ingredients, it also lists the % Available Chlorine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

After reading through some old posts on here, it seems a lot of Canadians said the same thing. No active ingredient percentages listed, not even on the clorox concentrated (unscented)
    I wonder if its because we have different regulations here than the U.S.

Based on what the other Canadians said, it looks like I'm stuck using 10% chlorine in 5L bottles, not sure if the price is a good deal or not ( I'm in canada and things are way more expensive) good thing the weather here is only nice enough to use the pool 8 wks a year.

I think I will go with salt water next year.

13. Back To Top    #13

A good deal is relative to location and availability as much as it is to concentration and jug size.

For instance, If Wal-Mart and a grocery store are right next door to each other and selling the same concentration, but Wal-Mart is shaving $0.25 off the price, it's a no-brainer. Wal-Mart every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But if 12.5% Na-CIO is available in Hamilton for the same price, you may think twice about driving there if the only objective is to buy chlorine, considering the price of fuel.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

My hubby was just saying that he believes we don't have 8.25 bleach here in Canada, anything that high here is labelled Chlorine in stores
    yes Canada does have over 8%… You won't find it at your Walmart type stores… You're best off to contact your local feedmill ...or chemical supply house… In order to get it over 8% most of the time you have to buy 20 L at a time… Personally my Canadian pool I run with Walmarts own brand of bleach… The small bottle is concentrated to 7.25% and a larger bottle is 4.25%… Depending on what's on sale is what I buy… I bought six cases of the larger (3.6L) bottles at $2 a bottle last week...

BTW since I have pools on both US and Canada sides I maintain, (I live on the border), I know it's cheaper to buy bleach in Canada at least in my locale... Menards wants over $3.50 a jug for noname 4%-5% bleach...