While waiting on my TF-100 kit to come... Question about OTO test

Jun 16, 2015
Cincinnati, OH
We have ordered a TF-100 test kit and we are currently working to get our pool balanced after poor advice for maintenance when we bought the house and a good bit of pool ignorance for the past couple of years. Pool was always sparkly clear so we didn't know how out of balance it really was until started to investigate why our kids got bathing suit rashes in our pool but not other places...

Anyway, as I said we are waiting on a quality test kit but are trying in the mean time to make some headway. I am currently testing with an HTH test for pH, TA, and OTO test for Chlorine. We have the pH up from a low that didn't even register (at least 4.5 because the TA was registering at zero) to around 6.8 by adding Borax over the last several days. The TA is now testing between 60 and 70. Chlorine was also registering at zero with our auto-tab feeder turned all the way up. As we are switching to the BBB method anyway we removed the cholrine feeder tabs and the mineral pack and added liquid chlorine in the form of liquid pool shock and household chlorine.

When we added the chlorine out water became greenish and a little cloudy, which cleared with filtering over 24 hours, and we ended up with what I think is likely iron precipitates and staining. (Fun times!) Now our chlorine levels are testing high. Of course I can't tell you how high because of the test I am still using, but it turns very yellow on the OTO test.

So, long story short my question... the OTO chlorine test says that it is also for bromine. I have been adding borates the the water in the form of Borax for several days... like what amounts to 25 lbs of Borax... Did I mention that the pH was SUPER LOW! So, will this confuse the OTO chlorine test results? Could it really just be registering the bromine level?

Thanks! I'm sure I will have loads more questions once I get the new test kit, but until then I appreciate any insight.

OH and I will add details to my signature but ours is an in-ground, ~21,000 gallon pool with vinyl liner and is seasonal, Hayward Perflex DE filter

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

Bromine and borates are not the same thing.
Ignore the bromine scale on the OTO since you should not have any in the water, you are using chlorine instead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.