PB says a big NO to bleach?

trbvm

Jun 8, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Building a pool in Phoenix, AZ. We still have ways to go before PebbleSheen, but when I casually asked the PB about me using TFPC method, he said that he does NOT recommend bleach, especially in AZ??
I am new to pools, but want to educate myself completely before construction is complete.
NOTE: I have the TF-100 test kit already! :)

I immediately assume it's either ignorance or referrals to a pool store/product partner. Besides bleach is chlorine and chlorine is bleach. He wouldn't say sodium hypochlorite labeled "Pool Shock" won't work, would he??

Glad you have a head start with a great test kit in the TF-100. Read a few articles in Pool School and you'll know more about pool chemistry than your builder. Bleach is perfectly fine in any pool, in any region for sanitation. The cheaper and fresher the better.

You ALREADY have the test kit????????????? LOL I did the same thing! I got my test kit BEFORE I got the pool!

So what does your PB THINK is in a puck? What does he want you to use to keep your water clear and clean? And yes I REALLY do want to hear what he says!

Kim

Holy smokes! So many replies in 20 mins! I am thrilled to be a part of this community!
I did not ask the PB on why... just casually mentioned. He is a great guy and answers all doubts, patiently.
Once the 'startup' guys come, I will find out what chemicals they are dumping in the pool and then take it from there.

I still have to open my TF-100 kit and test my city water. Maybe this weekend! Excited!

- - - Updated - - -

You ALREADY have the test kit????????????? LOL I did the same thing! I got my test kit BEFORE I got the pool!

So what does your PB THINK is in a puck? What does he want you to use to keep your water clear and clean? And yes I REALLY do want to hear what he says!

Kim

Yup, I already have the Test Kit! I also have stocked up on Clorox brand DE, etc. Guess you can never be 'too prepared', eh?
I got the test kit after reading some posts on how some of the folks here were waiting on the test kit, but pool was deteriorating by the day. Want to avoid the situation! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got my pool with my house so I am not sure but I believe you want to follow what they tell you at first to avoid any warranty issues or giving him a reason to say you didn't follow my instructions so that stain, spot, or fading is your fault.

However once their instruction period is over certainly switch over to the TFP method.

I got my pool with my house so I am not sure but I believe you want to follow what they tell you at first to avoid any warranty issues or giving him a reason to say you didn't follow my instructions so that stain, spot, or fading is your fault.

However once their instruction period is over certainly switch over to the TFP method.

Yup. Good idea. Will follow along and do whatever they suggest, while measuring and logging. Once it is completely in my hands, will switch over to TFP.

It's really just his misunderstanding of science. It was the way he was taught. Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. A Salt Water Chlorine Generator, Bleach, dichlor (powder shock), trichlor (tabs), cal hypo all deliver the exact same chlorine chemical - its just that each of them come along with a byproduct. Some you can live with easily, like the minor amount of salt that liquid chlorine leaves behind. Some you need to monitor and regulate, like the CYA dichlor and trichlor leave behind.

I see in your signature that you are installing UV and ozone, those pieces of equipment are what the pool builder is using for some of the sanitation. You can read all about those pieces of equipment endlessly here at TFP and you will soon find out that they are needless additions to the pad. Here is a link that I found that might help, Ozone for new pool. If it is not too late you might want to have them install a Hayward Aquapure SWG instead.

I always refer to it as liquid chlorine. People are usually more receptive to the idea. once in a while i get a "I'm afraid it will fade my liner", to which I reply: "ProBably less chance of that with the liquid than granules that can lay on the bottom."

I see in your signature that you are installing UV and ozone, those pieces of equipment are what the pool builder is using for some of the sanitation. You can read all about those pieces of equipment endlessly here at TFP and you will soon find out that they are needless additions to the pad. Here is a link that I found that might help, Ozone for new pool. If it is not too late you might want to have them install a Hayward Aquapure SWG instead.

Thanks, ping. So, according to your suggestions, I get rid of the "Clear O3" and the "Sense and Dispense", but instead add the Hayward AquaRite Salt Chlorinator (http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/Product_10201_10551_13009_-1_27501_14006_I) ?
I can ask my PB if he can swap these out.

Unfortunately, I cannot get rid of the UV. It is already installed.
Will send a note to the PB now.

You could keep the S&D for pH control (don't use the ORP/chlorine control) and add the SWG.
Actually it is odd to have the pH control without a SWG because without a SWG, generally the pH is more likely to be pretty stable.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I would consider removing and selling the UV system, or just leave it turned off as it will in fact RAISE the amount of chlorine you have to add to the pool.

I just went through my contract and there is a Salt Chlorinator (1) as a line item. No mention of brand/model, but I am guessing it will be Hayward, since all other stuff is the same.
Was ignorant of this during contract process. I will clarify with PB about the brand/model.

Bleach is BETTER than Pool Shock, as it won't sit on the bottom of your pool waiting to disintegrate. It also won't spike your pH or Calcium levels.
Although is some places, liquid chlorine from the pool store is labelled as "pool shock" ;)
This is why it is best to NEVER use the work "shock" for anything. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.