Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB says a big NO to bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

PB says a big NO to bleach?

Building a pool in Phoenix, AZ. We still have ways to go before PebbleSheen, but when I casually asked the PB about me using TFPC method, he said that he does NOT recommend bleach, especially in AZ??
    I am new to pools, but want to educate myself completely before construction is complete.
    NOTE: I have the TF-100 test kit already!
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: PB says a big NO to bleach?

And did he give you a reason he doesn't recommend it? I rather enjoy hearing the stuff people think bleach will do.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Fire him.
    Well maybe not just yet. But soon.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

A typical uninformed pool builder ... seems that most builders do not themselves have pools and have no idea how to maintain them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I immediately assume it's either ignorance or referrals to a pool store/product partner. Besides bleach is chlorine and chlorine is bleach. He wouldn't say sodium hypochlorite labeled "Pool Shock" won't work, would he??
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Ask him his opinion on using liquid chlorine instead. 😉
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    Ask him his opinion on using liquid chlorine instead. ��
    Then tell him it's the same thing when he says, "Oh, that would be ok."
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad you have a head start with a great test kit in the TF-100. Read a few articles in Pool School and you'll know more about pool chemistry than your builder. Bleach is perfectly fine in any pool, in any region for sanitation. The cheaper and fresher the better.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

You ALREADY have the test kit????????????? LOL I did the same thing! I got my test kit BEFORE I got the pool!

So what does your PB THINK is in a puck? What does he want you to use to keep your water clear and clean? And yes I REALLY do want to hear what he says!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Holy smokes! So many replies in 20 mins! I am thrilled to be a part of this community!
    I did not ask the PB on why... just casually mentioned. He is a great guy and answers all doubts, patiently.
    Once the 'startup' guys come, I will find out what chemicals they are dumping in the pool and then take it from there.

I still have to open my TF-100 kit and test my city water. Maybe this weekend! Excited!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    You ALREADY have the test kit????????????? LOL I did the same thing! I got my test kit BEFORE I got the pool!

So what does your PB THINK is in a puck? What does he want you to use to keep your water clear and clean? And yes I REALLY do want to hear what he says!

Kim
    Yup, I already have the Test Kit! I also have stocked up on Clorox brand DE, etc. Guess you can never be 'too prepared', eh?
    I got the test kit after reading some posts on how some of the folks here were waiting on the test kit, but pool was deteriorating by the day. Want to avoid the situation!
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

I got my pool with my house so I am not sure but I believe you want to follow what they tell you at first to avoid any warranty issues or giving him a reason to say you didn't follow my instructions so that stain, spot, or fading is your fault.

However once their instruction period is over certainly switch over to the TFP method.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I got my pool with my house so I am not sure but I believe you want to follow what they tell you at first to avoid any warranty issues or giving him a reason to say you didn't follow my instructions so that stain, spot, or fading is your fault.

However once their instruction period is over certainly switch over to the TFP method.
    Yup. Good idea. Will follow along and do whatever they suggest, while measuring and logging. Once it is completely in my hands, will switch over to TFP.

13. Back To Top    #13

It's really just his misunderstanding of science. It was the way he was taught. Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. A Salt Water Chlorine Generator, Bleach, dichlor (powder shock), trichlor (tabs), cal hypo all deliver the exact same chlorine chemical - its just that each of them come along with a byproduct. Some you can live with easily, like the minor amount of salt that liquid chlorine leaves behind. Some you need to monitor and regulate, like the CYA dichlor and trichlor leave behind.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

I see in your signature that you are installing UV and ozone, those pieces of equipment are what the pool builder is using for some of the sanitation. You can read all about those pieces of equipment endlessly here at TFP and you will soon find out that they are needless additions to the pad. Here is a link that I found that might help, Ozone for new pool. If it is not too late you might want to have them install a Hayward Aquapure SWG instead.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I always refer to it as liquid chlorine. People are usually more receptive to the idea. once in a while i get a "I'm afraid it will fade my liner", to which I reply: "ProBably less chance of that with the liquid than granules that can lay on the bottom."
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I see in your signature that you are installing UV and ozone, those pieces of equipment are what the pool builder is using for some of the sanitation. You can read all about those pieces of equipment endlessly here at TFP and you will soon find out that they are needless additions to the pad. Here is a link that I found that might help, Ozone for new pool. If it is not too late you might want to have them install a Hayward Aquapure SWG instead.
    Thanks, ping. So, according to your suggestions, I get rid of the "Clear O3" and the "Sense and Dispense", but instead add the Hayward AquaRite Salt Chlorinator (http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/Pro..._27501_14006_I) ?
    I can ask my PB if he can swap these out.

Unfortunately, I cannot get rid of the UV. It is already installed.
    Will send a note to the PB now.

17. Back To Top    #17

You could keep the S&D for pH control (don't use the ORP/chlorine control) and add the SWG.
    Actually it is odd to have the pH control without a SWG because without a SWG, generally the pH is more likely to be pretty stable.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I would consider removing and selling the UV system, or just leave it turned off as it will in fact RAISE the amount of chlorine you have to add to the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

18. Back To Top    #18

I just went through my contract and there is a Salt Chlorinator (1) as a line item. No mention of brand/model, but I am guessing it will be Hayward, since all other stuff is the same.
    Was ignorant of this during contract process. I will clarify with PB about the brand/model.

19. Back To Top    #19

Bleach is BETTER than Pool Shock, as it won't sit on the bottom of your pool waiting to disintegrate. It also won't spike your pH or Calcium levels.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jwhop3 View Post
    Bleach is BETTER than Pool Shock, as it won't sit on the bottom of your pool waiting to disintegrate. It also won't spike your pH or Calcium levels.
    Although is some places, liquid chlorine from the pool store is labelled as "pool shock"
    This is why it is best to NEVER use the work "shock" for anything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast