New Home/Newly Renovated Pool/Need Advice!

Fiddy

Jun 15, 2015
Hubbard/Ohio
Hi Everyone!

Definitely a wealth of knowledge out here from what I've seen over the past few days and I'm looking forward to getting involved. For now though, I'm going to just need some advice and direction.

This past weekend our pool (moved into a new home over the winter) was just finished with repairs. New liner, pump and filter - along with some bottom work and basic overhauling if you would. I'm now trying to determine what direction to take in maintaining the pool when I found this community (never had a pool before). From my little knowledge this really seemed like a good way of maintaining my water, I like the "simplistic" take on managing the chemistry with commonly found products. Luckily I picked up on the need for a test kit which arrived today (only one day shipping to Ohio for anyone needing something ASAP). I went with the TF-100 after reading through the other night. So here's where I'm at currently and what I could use some help with...

This afternoon after receiving the test kit I of course had to give it a shot, not bad all in all. Heads up I am color blind so I plan on having my fiance re-test to confirm. My results are as follows;

• Chlorine - 0 (CLEAR AS DAY)
  • PH - 7.2-7.5 (COLOR MIGHT BE AN ISSUE, BUT I FEEL CLOSE)
  • TA - 60-70
  • CH - 150ppm
  • CYA - LESS THAN 20 (I COULD SEE STRAIGHT TO THE BOTTOM WITH THE TUBE ALL THE WAY FILLED)

My questions are as follows; does that seem like realistic results with a newly filled pool/city water was on the truck that delivered? I think I'm messing up with the Chlorine testing. I started with the basic test and that showed no change in color, just clear as can be. Do I still need to attempt to test for FC and CC if it there is no Chlorine?

My apologies in advance, as mentioned I'm new to this altogether.

Thanks!

No worries, everyone has questions on that since I was a kid. Full color blindness (extremely rare) isn't what I have. I'm color blind in the sense that I have trouble in determining differences; red, green, brown etc. I see all color, just issues in seeing differences at times, shades specifically.

I was, however, pretty comfortable in knowing that what I tested today.

Hi Everyone!

Definitely a wealth of knowledge out here from what I've seen over the past few days and I'm looking forward to getting involved. For now though, I'm going to just need some advice and direction.

This past weekend our pool (moved into a new home over the winter) was just finished with repairs. New liner, pump and filter - along with some bottom work and basic overhauling if you would. I'm now trying to determine what direction to take in maintaining the pool when I found this community (never had a pool before). From my little knowledge this really seemed like a good way of maintaining my water, I like the "simplistic" take on managing the chemistry with commonly found products. Luckily I picked up on the need for a test kit which arrived today (only one day shipping to Ohio for anyone needing something ASAP). I went with the TF-100 after reading through the other night. So here's where I'm at currently and what I could use some help with...

This afternoon after receiving the test kit I of course had to give it a shot, not bad all in all. Heads up I am color blind so I plan on having my fiance re-test to confirm. My results are as follows;

• Chlorine - 0 (CLEAR AS DAY)
  • PH - 7.2-7.5 (COLOR MIGHT BE AN ISSUE, BUT I FEEL CLOSE)
  • TA - 60-70
  • CH - 150ppm
  • CYA - LESS THAN 20 (I COULD SEE STRAIGHT TO THE BOTTOM WITH THE TUBE ALL THE WAY FILLED)

My questions are as follows; does that seem like realistic results with a newly filled pool/city water was on the truck that delivered? I think I'm messing up with the Chlorine testing. I started with the basic test and that showed no change in color, just clear as can be. Do I still need to attempt to test for FC and CC if it there is no Chlorine?

My apologies in advance, as mentioned I'm new to this altogether.

Thanks!

Those seem realistic ... you shouldn't have any chlorine or CYA. I wouldn't bother with the CC test.

Next step is to get some chlorine and CYA / stabilizer in there. You will want to go to 30 - 50 ppm CYA since you don't have a SWCG. Use the pool calculator to get exact numbers but you will need 2 to 4 lbs of stabilizer and a full jug of 8.25% bleach to start. The stabilizer won't read for a week but assume it is there and then test in a week. You will go through 1/2 jug +- of chlorine each day if i had to guess.

You may want to bump TA up a bit but I would just watch it and my pH for now.

Calcium is not an issue with a vinyl liner

You are in good shape overall!

Those seem realistic ... you shouldn't have any chlorine or CYA. I wouldn't bother with the CC test.

Next step is to get some chlorine and CYA / stabilizer in there. You will want to go to 30 - 50 ppm CYA since you don't have a SWCG. Use the pool calculator to get exact numbers but you will need 2 to 4 lbs of stabilizer and a full jug of 8.25% bleach to start. The stabilizer won't read for a week but assume it is there and then test in a week. You will go through 1/2 jug +- of chlorine each day if i had to guess.

You may want to bump TA up a bit but I would just watch it and my pH for now.

Calcium is not an issue with a vinyl liner

You are in good shape overall!

Thank you for the quick response - that's what I'll do then. As an FYI - I did run these results through the pool calculator already and just in case I'm doing something incorrectly. It says I'm needing 3 jugs of bleach and 12lbs of stabilizer. Only reason I bring that up is because of the numbers you through out there and how far off I am from that.

Thank you for the quick response - that's what I'll do then. As an FYI - I did run these results through the pool calculator already and just in case I'm doing something incorrectly. It says I'm needing 3 jugs of bleach and 12lbs of stabilizer. Only reason I bring that up is because of the numbers you through out there and how far off I am from that.

That looks like way too much stabilizer to me and about right on the bleach. I show 156 oz of stabilizer to go from 0 to 40. 156/28 = 6 lbs or so.

I am running out to a birthday dinner but someone else will be here to comment soon.

Thanks again for the input. I ran the numbers again but this time raising CYA to 40 instead of 50, which it was previously set at. Even at that it's calling for 9lbs 3oz (pool set at 27,500 gallons) to bring from 0-40? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but that's the outcome I'm arriving at. Any input if that seems correct, or not would be appreciated.

thanks!

At least i had the 156 right. Sorry! And guilty as charged
9ad19d032828f0974e147cd72d484fee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.