Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick noobie question about first time sand filter use

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick noobie question about first time sand filter use

I'm completely new to sand filters and finally upgraded to the intex 3000 gallon sand filter. My question is, I am performing the first routine backwash and there is quite a lot of sand in the sediment window. In the video is showed no sand in there, is this a problem? Should I backwash until the sand is clear?
    26' Intex 17k gallon above ground pool. 3000 GPH intex sand filter. Taylor Tech. k-2006 Test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick noobie question about first time sand filter use

The sand level is probably a bit high and is getting kicked up during the backwash. If the water is otherwise clear, I'd call it good.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!
    26' Intex 17k gallon above ground pool. 3000 GPH intex sand filter. Taylor Tech. k-2006 Test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

My PSI started out at 10psi, which is right on the border between green and yellow. I backwashed for 6 minutes and then rinsed for 4 minutes and it is still at 10psi. Is this high? In the instructional video they said when it got to that point I should backwash but it started there so not sure if there is something wrong with the filter or not.