Running Robots in the rain

Mindflux

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
Obv the robot itself is water proofed. Is the transformer? We've been having sporadic showers throughout the day and I haven't tossed my robot in the pool since this weekend because I don't want the transformer to get rained on.

Are these safe to use in a sporadic downpour?

Perhaps I should get a small rubbermaid container or something to put the transformer in to double seal it from the elements?

I used to put a bucket over the top of the transformer. The one I had appeared to be waterproof with the O-ring seal where the robot attached and the rubber cover on the switch, but I did not trust it :D

I put my transformer on a chair, tucked under a table that's near the pool. I also wrap the extension cord I use around the chair, off the ground. When I neglect to get the cord/transformer connection off the ground, my GFCI outlet has tripped on occasion when running in the rain. Certainly safe to run during the rain, provided you protect the transformer from rain and are connected to a GFCI circuit/outlet.

I put my transformer on a chair, tucked under a table that's near the pool. I also wrap the extension cord I use around the chair, off the ground. When I neglect to get the cord/transformer connection off the ground, my GFCI outlet has tripped on occasion when running in the rain. Certainly safe to run during the rain, provided you protect the transformer from rain and are connected to a GFCI circuit/outlet.

Yeah that's the idea with using some sort of rubbermaid container to put the transformer in and find a way to make sure all the cables have a toward loop so water runs off the cables rather than toward the transformer/container.

Last night I ended up putting the transformer on top of my pool heater (curved top) and inverting an igloo cooler over it. My Aqualink PS4 is right next to the heater with a GFCI outlet on the side of the box. Worked out OK, transformer stayed dry.. pool robot ran OK.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.