Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running Robots in the rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Running Robots in the rain

Obv the robot itself is water proofed. Is the transformer? We've been having sporadic showers throughout the day and I haven't tossed my robot in the pool since this weekend because I don't want the transformer to get rained on.

Are these safe to use in a sporadic downpour?

Perhaps I should get a small rubbermaid container or something to put the transformer in to double seal it from the elements?
    13,000 gallons w/ spa (in-ground) | Plaster pool surface
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running Robots in the rain

I used to put a bucket over the top of the transformer. The one I had appeared to be waterproof with the O-ring seal where the robot attached and the rubber cover on the switch, but I did not trust it
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not suggesting it's a good idea, but my M5 unit has been running in some heavy downpours this season.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I used to put a bucket over the top of the transformer. The one I had appearedto be waterproof with the O-ring seal where the robot attached and the rubber cover on the switch, but I did not trust it

Used to? What do you do now?
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

5. Back To Top    #5

I put my transformer on a chair, tucked under a table that's near the pool. I also wrap the extension cord I use around the chair, off the ground. When I neglect to get the cord/transformer connection off the ground, my GFCI outlet has tripped on occasion when running in the rain. Certainly safe to run during the rain, provided you protect the transformer from rain and are connected to a GFCI circuit/outlet.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I put my transformer on a chair, tucked under a table that's near the pool. I also wrap the extension cord I use around the chair, off the ground. When I neglect to get the cord/transformer connection off the ground, my GFCI outlet has tripped on occasion when running in the rain. Certainly safe to run during the rain, provided you protect the transformer from rain and are connected to a GFCI circuit/outlet.
    Yeah that's the idea with using some sort of rubbermaid container to put the transformer in and find a way to make sure all the cables have a toward loop so water runs off the cables rather than toward the transformer/container.

7. Back To Top    #7

I put a bucket over the transformer
    IG Vinyl -30,000 (20x40)
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter/Hayward rebuilt 1 HP Pump
    AutoPilot DIG-220 RC52 SWCG
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Aquabot Bravo

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    Used to? What do you do now?
    Use a suction cleaner because the 2 robots I had stopped working.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Last night I ended up putting the transformer on top of my pool heater (curved top) and inverting an igloo cooler over it. My Aqualink PS4 is right next to the heater with a GFCI outlet on the side of the box. Worked out OK, transformer stayed dry.. pool robot ran OK.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    Last night I ended up putting the transformer on top of my pool heater (curved top) and inverting an igloo cooler over it. My Aqualink PS4 is right next to the heater with a GFCI outlet on the side of the box. Worked out OK, transformer stayed dry.. pool robot ran OK.
    I'm sure that would work fine. Just make sure the heater isn't on!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I'm sure that would work fine. Just make sure the heater isn't on!

Heater is never on except if I'm in the Spa which is.. almost never.