NEW pool user/normal if filter is turning brown?

Jun 17, 2015
bossier city, LA
FIRST TIMERS: Ok we have an 18ftx48 ft intex pool. We r using salt. We noticed after 2nd day it was a slightly tingy green. Added shock chemicals. Still green today, so we cleaned it, scrubbed it and after we cleaned it the chlorine level was no longer high but in ok range. SO we added more shock. We have noticed that filters were turning a brown and we put a sock over the return and that to turns brown. We do not have the tester u all talk about:( We have gotten afternoon storms both days, which im sure is not helping. What else do u suggest we do, we want our pool back to being swimable! TIA

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Without one of the one of the recommended test kits it would only be a guess as to what is going on. My two guesses are that the green is algae due to not keeping the correct amount of chlorine in the water. I don't know where Bossier is (it helps if you add the state to your profile location) but would guess you are on a well and you have high iron water.

To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Well hello there! You have come to the right place for a CLEAR pool and white filter! We can help you get both!

What are you using for testing?

Even if you use salt you still do need to add chlorine every once in a while to help keep the FC (free Chlorine) up.

To help us help you I need you to look at my siggy for the link to the the test kits we have and use. A good test kit is the only way to have your pool clear.

HUGS! Kim

Louisianna is the state sorry. Yes it is a clear green. When i change the filter it looks more tan/brownish. The stuff shooting into the sock and being collected on the filter is a redish brown. So Im thinking the water is tanish/brown instead of green. PH is 7.2 chlorine is high cause we shocked it thinking it was algae. Ive been rinsing the sock all day and it doesnt seem to be getting any better but no worse either. We've only had the pool up for like 5 days. We do have the salt water system on but it is currently off cause of us shocking it. We have been running the pump 24 hrs since this happened. I ordered a kit today so hoping to get it soon!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, based on one of your comments, you know what you need to do: invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Impossible to provide advice with the cold, hard, numbers ;)

Is the water clear green or partially cloudy green?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok did the bucket and polly fill. Took alot of junk out but seems to have stopped now. The water still looks a tad dirty to me though. The test strips show calcium running really high like 1000 if they are correct. Would high calcium make water a tad dirty? Havent received our TF100 in mail yet, anxiously waiting:( BEYOND FRUSTRATED HOW TO MAKE THIS CLEAR FOR THE KIDS TO SWIM! COuld the calcium be high from shocking it? How do i get the calcium level down without draining it???

Unless the Iron tint is so dark you can't see the bottom, it's not a reason to keep the kids out in my opinion. If the pH is good and you have chlorine, it's safe.

I wouldn't trust the CH reading on the test strips at all. Do you have white crust all over the shower head and coffeemaker? Is there a ring inside the toilet bowl? If no, your CH isn't that high from the tap. And you'd have to have added a hundred pounds of "shock" powder to drive CH up that high otherwise. Just keep filtering.

Once you have a full set of test results and things get balanced, if there's still a tint, then you add metal sequestrant. Filtering anything out of the pool takes time.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You do not need to test for Bromine unless you have added it to the pool. You will need to add CYA to the water to reach 30 ppm. You should be able to get CYA (also known as stabilizer or conditioner) from Walmart.

brought my water to pool store and they came up with
CYA 34
Total chl 10
Free Chl 10
ph 7.6
total alk 91
adj total alk 81
hardness 265
They said everything looked good but recommended i try stain and scale (onguard). Thoughts on that??? I bought flocculent. I also bought a stabalizer but not sure if i should add it since i put in flocculent and stain and scale already???

im just at my wits end and as a first time pool owner dont have a clue. im trying to remedy the problem before it gets worse. I bought the stain and scale from the pool store the flocculent i bought at walmart they did not recommend that. i bought the stabilizer based on the recommendation on this page. Im confused on the test results of the first reading and then pool store reading! cya 0 then cya 34 big diff.

- - - Updated - - -

is stain and scale not a sequestraint?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.