Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW pool user/normal if filter is turning brown?

1. Back To Top    #1

NEW pool user/normal if filter is turning brown?

FIRST TIMERS: Ok we have an 18ftx48 ft intex pool. We r using salt. We noticed after 2nd day it was a slightly tingy green. Added shock chemicals. Still green today, so we cleaned it, scrubbed it and after we cleaned it the chlorine level was no longer high but in ok range. SO we added more shock. We have noticed that filters were turning a brown and we put a sock over the return and that to turns brown. We do not have the tester u all talk about We have gotten afternoon storms both days, which im sure is not helping. What else do u suggest we do, we want our pool back to being swimable! TIA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NEW pool user/normal if filter is turning brown?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, based on one of your comments, you know what you need to do: invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Impossible to provide advice with the cold, hard, numbers

Is the water clear green or partially cloudy green?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Without one of the one of the recommended test kits it would only be a guess as to what is going on. My two guesses are that the green is algae due to not keeping the correct amount of chlorine in the water. I don't know where Bossier is (it helps if you add the state to your profile location) but would guess you are on a well and you have high iron water.

To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Well hello there! You have come to the right place for a CLEAR pool and white filter! We can help you get both!

What are you using for testing?

Even if you use salt you still do need to add chlorine every once in a while to help keep the FC (free Chlorine) up.

To help us help you I need you to look at my siggy for the link to the the test kits we have and use. A good test kit is the only way to have your pool clear.

HUGS! Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Louisianna is the state sorry. Yes it is a clear green. When i change the filter it looks more tan/brownish. The stuff shooting into the sock and being collected on the filter is a redish brown. So Im thinking the water is tanish/brown instead of green. PH is 7.2 chlorine is high cause we shocked it thinking it was algae. Ive been rinsing the sock all day and it doesnt seem to be getting any better but no worse either. We've only had the pool up for like 5 days. We do have the salt water system on but it is currently off cause of us shocking it. We have been running the pump 24 hrs since this happened. I ordered a kit today so hoping to get it soon!

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, based on one of your comments, you know what you need to do: invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Impossible to provide advice with the cold, hard, numbers

Is the water clear green or partially cloudy green?

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you fill the pool with well water? It sounds like Iron.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

calcium seems to be running high as well

- - - Updated - - -

We are outside city limits and im pretty sure we still use city water (expensive). Sorry not completely sure cause we just moved to the state

- - - Updated - - -

I just ordered the TF100

8. Back To Top    #8

Any idea what i can do to try and get iron out, while i wait for my tester to arrive?

9. Back To Top    #9

You are doing it, filter it out. May need to start using sequestrants.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

ok great thank you! Probably take a few days im guessing??
    18ftx48ft intex above ground, round. salt water system. We put it up June 13,2015.

11. Back To Top    #11

ok did the bucket and polly fill. Took alot of junk out but seems to have stopped now. The water still looks a tad dirty to me though. The test strips show calcium running really high like 1000 if they are correct. Would high calcium make water a tad dirty? Havent received our TF100 in mail yet, anxiously waiting BEYOND FRUSTRATED HOW TO MAKE THIS CLEAR FOR THE KIDS TO SWIM! COuld the calcium be high from shocking it? How do i get the calcium level down without draining it???
    18ftx48ft intex above ground, round. salt water system. We put it up June 13,2015.

12. Back To Top    #12

Unless the Iron tint is so dark you can't see the bottom, it's not a reason to keep the kids out in my opinion. If the pH is good and you have chlorine, it's safe.

I wouldn't trust the CH reading on the test strips at all. Do you have white crust all over the shower head and coffeemaker? Is there a ring inside the toilet bowl? If no, your CH isn't that high from the tap. And you'd have to have added a hundred pounds of "shock" powder to drive CH up that high otherwise. Just keep filtering.

Once you have a full set of test results and things get balanced, if there's still a tint, then you add metal sequestrant. Filtering anything out of the pool takes time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Can I buy sequestrant at walmart or need go pool store?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by hguse02 View Post
    Can I buy sequestrant at walmart or need go pool store?
    Probably pool store. The recommended ones are listed by name in Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

15. Back To Top    #15

Thx u so much

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok
    Total hardness 100
    Total chl 10
    Bromine 20
    Free chl 10
    PH 7.8
    Alkalinity 120
    Cyanuric acid 0

17. Back To Top    #17

Hi, welcome to TFP! You do not need to test for Bromine unless you have added it to the pool. You will need to add CYA to the water to reach 30 ppm. You should be able to get CYA (also known as stabilizer or conditioner) from Walmart.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

brought my water to pool store and they came up with
    CYA 34
    Total chl 10
    Free Chl 10
    ph 7.6
    total alk 91
    adj total alk 81
    hardness 265
    They said everything looked good but recommended i try stain and scale (onguard). Thoughts on that??? I bought flocculent. I also bought a stabalizer but not sure if i should add it since i put in flocculent and stain and scale already???

19. Back To Top    #19

So ... sounds like you intend to follow the pool store's advice. Good luck with that.

We do not trust their testing and we do not recommend their potions like Flocs, etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

im just at my wits end and as a first time pool owner dont have a clue. im trying to remedy the problem before it gets worse. I bought the stain and scale from the pool store the flocculent i bought at walmart they did not recommend that. i bought the stabilizer based on the recommendation on this page. Im confused on the test results of the first reading and then pool store reading! cya 0 then cya 34 big diff.

- - - Updated - - -

is stain and scale not a sequestraint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast