Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak in fiberglass pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak in fiberglass pool

Over two weeks in to June and we can't swim because of a leak in the pool. I can't seem to attach a photo but it has leaked below the skimmer, returns, and light niches over the past 7-10 days. The water level has remained mostly stable over the past week at about 18" below the top of the pool. Besides a leak in the shell itself (which I can't see), the only thing left is my main drain and/or plumbing from it to the filter.

While 18" isn't too deep of a hole to dig, can anyone give me some input on other possible ways to detect the leak, without calling a leak expert? At this point I can only assume the leak is in the plumbing (flex tubing, I think) from the main drain. I'll dig a long hole to find the leak in the tubing as long as it's less than two feet deep
    Matt

10,000g "Antigua" (kidney shape) fiberglass IG pool, 1 hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 1200 Cart filter, 130K BTU heater, Savi Melody lights.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak in fiberglass pool

Sorry to hear about that matpat. Have you seen this page: Pool School - Leak Detection

You may receive some other advise from members how had to do some creative leak research. There are lots of "leak" results in the "Search" feature. I wish you luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you continue to have problems trying to post a pic, let us know. Most of us link pics from Photobucket by copying & pasting the IMG code back to the post.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Bummer! Leaks and digging are not fun. The only thing I know about leaks is that there is an article in Pool School. Hope it helps.
    Pool School - Leak Detection
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to both of you for responding. I started at the Pool School - Leak detection article and have read about every post on leaks I can find. I have some pics of the plumbing I took when the pool was installed. I just don't want to have to dig if I don't have too, lol.
    Matt

10,000g "Antigua" (kidney shape) fiberglass IG pool, 1 hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 1200 Cart filter, 130K BTU heater, Savi Melody lights.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a way to separate flow (shut-off) the main drain versus your skimmer? If it turned-out to be your main drain, shoot, maybe just close it off. There are bigger pools than yours without a main drain - mine (FB) for example! You can still manage your water chemistry just fine with out the main drain "if" that's what it turned-out to be. Just a thought.

Otherwise, lately I've had no problems employing the help of my teenage boys to put their strong backs to use for a "unique" job opportunity just like this one - digging. I save some energy, they earn a few bucks .. win-win.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Unfortunately, no way to shut off the main drain. It seems like to me that it would still leak unless I removed the cover & plugged the hole. I'm not ready to get in the pool with 70* dirty water either!
    Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

Again, that's what teenagers are for.

Okay then, good luck and perhaps you'll receive some more comments to this post tis afternoon to assist.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've been semi-lucky so far. I guesstimated where to start digging and after about two shovelfuls of sand I found the main drain line. I was about a foot down and a foot under the concrete when it started pouring rain so I stopped. Hopefully I can find the leak without going too far under the concrete. If not, I'll brace the concrete to be safe. I can't believe I hit the spot on the first try! No teenagers here to help but my 9 & 12 y/o can help later 😀
    Matt