We've been using the local pool store and following their directions for pool care but doing a lot of reading on our own as well, and ended up joining here today. Had some metal staining and per their directions dropped the chlorine level down to treat last week. In the mean time the old pump is getting louder and louder, so after the metal treatment we decided the neighbors would prob rather not hear the pump so we turned it off-last Friday. New pump this past Monday and now trying to get rid of the green sediment on the bottom of the pool. Same day took a sample of water in and these were the readings before starting algae treatment:
These were the instructions given:
shock pool with 1.4 gal of liquid chlorine wait 24 hours then add 22 ounces of all in one algaecide according to directions. Brush walls and floor of pool and let filter system run for 24 hours. Ok, we were at this point this morning, when I brushed the pool there was lots of yellow green billowing up, I vacuumed instead then we cleaned the filter, it was bad, and added the next recommended shock treatment, another 1.4 gal. although directions said to wait 48 hours, we waited less than 24. Maybe a mistake? Trying to clear it up for hubby's chill day! It does look like it's trying to get better, maybe just from cleaning the filter, but I just went out there to check and when I brushed there was def more algae not as much as this morning, but at this rate will prob be bad tomorrow morning. From what I've been reading it could be that my CYA level is making the chlorine ineffective, the pool store never says anything about that. Also is there a relationship between high CYA levels and metal staining?
Looking forward to some help! Thanks!!