skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
I would like to replace the old valves which are feeding my pool pump but there is not much space to work with. I currently have three simple 2 port valves...one controlling skimmer, one for main drain and one for vac line. I usually have the skimmer line all the way open and the main drain partially open, unless vacuuming where they are both closed and the vacuum port is fully open.

I was looking at the Jandy Neverlube valves as a possible alternative and had a question about the three-way valve, model 4715 to see if it could replace the two 2-port valves coming from main drain and vacuum. Does anyone know if this valve allows one port to be partially open (for main drain) while the other is totally closed (vacuum)?

Very tight space to work with, so I can't see the Jandy valves working in this configuration.
valves.jpg

Should I just cut everything at the ground and start over? I have some space to the left of the vacuum line if I need to reroute some of the plumbing. I don't think I can reuse any of these elbows and Ts since there is no place to cut and install any couplings. The pipes coming out of the ground are about 6" apart and the current valves are about 6" off the ground. Also, does anyone use the threaded valve couplings as opposed to the slip fittings?

You would want to put the 3-way between the Vac that Drain/Skim with the output to the pump ... and then another 3-way between the Drain and Skim with the output to the other 3-way.

I have never seen a Jandy with threads.

How much space is between the vertical pipes?

Seems like you may need to redo it all

- - - Updated - - -

Can you move the pump to be in front of the Vac line? Then you could use a 3-way for the Vac and just stick with 2-ways on the drain and skimmer that you would rarely have to turn.

Can you move the pump to be in front of the Vac line? Then you could use a 3-way for the Vac and just stick with 2-ways on the drain and skimmer that you would rarely have to turn.

My multiport and filter are to the left of the pump. I may just need to buy 3 standard valves and rebuild everything like it is now from the ground to the pump. I wish I could just pop the old valves out and insert new ones but there is no room for couplings. Are there any good short, 1-1/2" ball valves which allow full flow through them?

Well I am not sure how exact your 12 inch measurement was, but I think the 3port jandy valves are about 6 3/4" and if you could bump your pump back just an inch or two, you could fit jandy valves in this configuration...

As for other suggestions for non- neverlube valves, Jandy also makes their own line of Gold Series Ball Valves, and while I have not used them, I have heard good things about them from other pool equipment vendors here in AZ.

I have to check to see what it would take to move the pump back some...though I'd have to extend the top line going to the multiport. Assuming vac port is blocked, could you mix skimmer and drain in that configuration? I usually do about 75% skimmer and 25% drain.

... could you mix skimmer and drain in that configuration? I usually do about 75% skimmer and 25% drain...

As Jblizzle said you sure can. You just will probably need to rotate the diverter assembly. It can only rotate 180 degrees, and in my experience comes from the factory set up so that you can fully block the top, or fully block the bottom, but you can't block the middle at all. You would want to rotate the diverter so that you can block the bottom, block the middle, but cannot block the top. If you set up both valves that way, then you can do exactly what you describe with the mixing. It might sound complicated, but once you get your hands on one, it should all come clear. there are some good videos on youtube for how to disassemble a Neverlube valve, but basically, it is just Remove the 8 screws, pop the diverter out, and rotate, then reassemble.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.