Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it safe to swim while filling a new Intex pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it safe to swim while filling a new Intex pool

We have an 18 x 48 ultra frame pool. Using the BBB method of filling. I only have test strips as of right now.
    I can post those results if needed. Since it's only been filling since yesterday afternoon I'm thinking it's relatively
    fresh water and has several doses of bleach so far. 7 yo daughter is begging to swim and we are about
    2/3 the way full. Any issues with letting her swim?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it safe to swim while filling a new Intex pool

Since you didn't say that you've put any CYA in there, just be careful not to put more than 3 or 4 ppm FC in there as more than that is pretty strong without any stabilizer. Other than that, swim away!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

What does several doses of bleach mean?
    Have you added stabilizer (CYA)? ... if not the FC level could be too high and harsh.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the quick responses!!! I haven't measured the actual gallons yet but Intex states it's 6,400 gallons. So according to that, that my dose is 1 cup of bleach. It had one cup after 6 inches full, 4 cups last night, and two so far today. 6 way test strips say it's a "1, ok, light pink". Pool is in the direct sun for several hours late morning and afternoon so i know we need to add stabilizer. We have granule CYA and I can add that...it's just the BBB method I was following said wait until pool is full. Should I go ahead and add that with the tube sock technique? P.S. I have ordered a better kit but it will take a few days to get here.

- - - Updated - - -

That was total chlorine I listed. FC is Ok and high OK. Sorry - complete novice here!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

According to Pool Math an 18' X 48" pool filled to 42" (or 3.5') depth (almost up to the grey top part of the liner) is 6700 gallons, and that is what I use for my 18' X 48" Ultra Frame. Works perfect for me.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Let her swim.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

New fill on Intex - adding CYA

Hi - we are almost full in our new pool. I was going to do the sock method for the CYA. The pool math calculator says 36 oz by volume (or 34 oz by weight) for my size pool. That seems a lot to start with since you can't lower it after the fact very easily. What do you guys think? My FC just checked at "OK" on my crappy test strips. (new kit coming in the mail). Water is a just a tinge greenish but clear. And I mean just a tinge greenish cast. It's is the sun so I want to get some stablizer in there. So new and lost so any help is appreciated!!!
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA
    Brand new pool and learning as we go!
    Intex 18 x 48 Ultra Frame Pool
    Filter that came with it
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System
    - not using yet

8. Back To Top    #8

I merged your threads .... keep related questions together, please.

That is the amount to get you to 40ppm ... If your volume is right, then no issue with adding it all at once and then assuming you are at a CYA of 40ppm to determine your FC levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

How many ppm are you calculating to add? I would start with 30ppm. Definitely need to get it in there pronto. And squeeze the sock several times per day to speed it up.

Use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to set you chlorine level based on your CYA level. Keep it at or slightly above target at all times so that your pool is sanitized and algae free.

BTW, it takes CYA about a week to fully dissolve and register on the CYA test, so don't test until a week passes.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Given your location, I see no reason to go to 30ppm and then add more due to the intense sun.
    You know it is 0ppm now.
    You know the pool volume (easier than a freeform IG pool).
    You know that adding 34oz by weight WILL add 40ppm.
    There is no mystery here or reason to "sneak up" on the CYA level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks so much - you guys are awesome! So when would you suggest I switch to the SWG I bought and add salt? I was thinking getting everything stabilized and wait for my test kit to arrive and also the salt test strips. I have been playing with the pool calculator and learning how that works. And ya know what, I ordered the HTH-60 kit and now have read that one is not so hot. The older pool forum said it would suffice for 4-6 weeks and i figured that would be fine. I bet I wasted my money.
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA
    Filter that came with it
    - not using yet

12. Back To Top    #12

I'd recommend holding off on starting the SWG until you have everything balanced and CYA dissolved and all that. It's only a couple days of bleach. You can add the salt anytime. I suggest holding Diamond Day once you know the pH is right since there will be a lot of underwater swimming.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Oh with a plan to go with a SWG, I would certainly not just target 30ppm for the CYA ... in fact I might go right to 50ppm. And then when the SWG is installed, bump it to 70-80ppm.

You can add the salt any time (good to check current level, I prefer the Taylor drop salt test) ... pour it in and let the kids play with it to get it dissolved
    You want to run the pump 24 hours after adding salt before you turn the SWG on.

That kit will be OK for the near term ... the chlorine test is lacking and you will run out of CYA reagent quickly.
    Certainly would suggest investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

That sounds like a plan and my little girl will definitely enjoy Diamond Day!!
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA
    Filter that came with it
    - not using yet